VIRGINIA RUT WATCH! >

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Saw another lone doe run across a major road at 1100 today--I would say the chase is 100 percent on.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM

I think they will LOVE this weather this week. Do you see them continuing this behavior through the weekend?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

id say so, they really just started getting after it. They say the rutting moon was last thursday and its usually 2 days after that is when the does start to go into heat. With the weather saturday it slowed it down, but sunday it turned on, so my best guess is that the next 2 weeks will be good, especially this week.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

id say so, they really just started getting after it. They say the rutting moon was last thursday and its usually 2 days after that is when the does start to go into heat. With the weather saturday it slowed it down, but sunday it turned on, so my best guess is that the next 2 weeks will be good, especially this week.
+1, Starting tomorrow through the end of this week should be crazzzzzyyy for those willing to brave the "(not so) cold" temperatures
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

I have been hunting since the beginning of October and have noticed that the end of last week the bucks were running solo and pretty much any time of the day. I was out on Saturday and saw 2 bucks chasing a couple does, even during the heavy wind and rain early on Saturday.

My guess is that this week will be outstanding. The temps will get the deer moving and with the rut it should be anytime of the day to see action. This weekend should be the downslope of the rut (in my area).

I killed this pig on November 1. He came in on a string to some grunting and bleating. His neck was thick and glands were soaked. If this was a sign of the rut in my woods, thenthe rutshould be tapering off this week. Especially because they were pinned down a few days last week in the rain and wind.

Good luck VA boys and girls!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi guys.
I am a new hunter of about 3 years. I am learning a lot from thisforum. I hunt in Suffolk, VA. on a 10 acre peice of private property. I am the only one that hunts it. Anyways. Usually this property which is full of oaks only holds young bucks and a lot fo does from what I've seen.
But yesterday I was in my stand at about 5am, I just purchased primos estrus bleat can. I began using it right before sunrise and a 9 point buck, neck was thick stepped right out on the logging road about 85 yards away from mewith in 30 mins.too far for alethal shotgun shot I would think..so I did not even try, and then give my stand away...he stood there for a sec and then went into a thicket behind me. Needless to say after cleaning the mess I made in my pants from seeing that NICE deer LOL, I waited to see if he was circling me as I also had a scent wick of codeblue estrous out..he never came out of the thicket..and then in the same place this buck came from about two hours later what appeared to be a four point did basically the same thing. NECK swollen on him as well...I have never seen deer here like this on this property. I am so excited.

I have also seen 4 does in the last 3 days running the property by themselves.

I am considering going today even thought here is so much wind. Anyways, I just wanted to share that the does are by themselves here, and the bucks are as well.

Also, two people that live down the road from me, have hit deer this past weekend..both bucks. SAme couple...insurance is going to hate them I guess...

How much longer do I have entil this rut activity begins to wind down, and should I continue to use the estrus can call at this time?
I am sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to bag me a nice one

Also I do have permission for a guest here if anyone is interested..As I said I do not know much more...but I am trying to soak it all up like a sponge..

just wanted to add my info, and if anyone has any tips or advice It would be welcomed...

Thanks guys...I've learned alot from reading ya'lls posts.

-Scott

Hunting in suffolk, close to the windsor line
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

After Thanksgiving Weekend i would say its going to wind down. It usually takes about two weeks once the peak rut starts. The rut really just kicked off a couple of days ago and with the weather this week it should be in full swing. By the end of next week or the first couple days of Dec it should be over. It also depends on your area. If you have a lot of does you can see chasing for weeks, and if you dont then it all may happen in one week. I would try to get out as much as you can in the next two weeks, especially this week.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks Crenshaw. ....so Windy days really dont have an effect right now? I've read thatdeer tend to stay in thick cover on windy days...does this also hold true on the rut? Sorry for the questions..

Like to day it is 15-20 gusting to 30...

The only thing I do not like about the property is the hunt club runs their dogs on both sides of me..sometimes ofcourse crossing into the property which I do not mind, as I help the catch the dogs..

Do you guys by chance know any other websites or videos that have some good tips and tactics..I am really enjoying myself and want to learn as much as I can...

I am so glad I found this site..a few of my friends from Richmond were telling me the rut was over..if it wasnt for this forum I wold assumed it was..

Thanks again guys...getting ready to head out in the wind I guess
good luck to you all
Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

use the wind!!! its the rut the bucks are going to be curious and excited, Spray doe in heat and stuff of that nature into the wind. A buck might bue hold up because of the wind but if he smells it, he is going to get up. Also, the biggest deer ive seen this year have been in the wind. I usually am not a fan, but sometimes you just have to hunt, im going out in 15mins myself, going down in a creek bottom where the hills on both sides slow the wind, i know your really dont have that in suffolk though.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Advice taken, thanks again Crenshaw...Good luck to you

Quick Reply: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.