HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   VIRGINIA RUT WATCH! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/268328-virginia-rut-watch.html)

JoeyG 10-16-2008 01:25 AM

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Hey guys,
We only got a couple more weeks untill the action starts happenin'. I want to take off a few days when the rut hits here hard, so I had an idea.
If we all inform each other of whats going on out in the woods, we can pin point the first couple days when the does start getting into estrous. I figure if someonea couplehours away sees 20 bucks chasing a doe, theres a good chance it's happening where I'm at too. Also, if someone was to say they saw some bucks fighting you may choose to do some rattling the next day. Atleast we will be able to share what we are seeing in the woods, and it may help out a fellow hunter here on huntingnet.
I'll start it off.
Last Fri-Sat, I only saw does. I had some buddies see bucks. It seems right now you are gonna be into the does, or you may see a buck or two.

virginiashadow 10-16-2008 08:36 AM

RE: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Good idea Joey. I am starting to see my first aggressive rubs...very few of them, but they are beginning to show up in the right spots. 2 weeks and the pre-rut will be in full swing.

tourangeaud 10-16-2008 08:55 AM

Great idea. We need to let everyone know where and when this action istaking place. Plus any other info that would be useful. Thanks for starting the post, JoeyG.

djt

SwampCollie 10-16-2008 09:56 AM

Bucks have been sparring and fighting since the beginning of october. On opening day, Rebecca and I watched a 2.5 yo buck following a doe... about 30 yards back.... feeding right behind her... followed her everywhere she went.

I made the drive from norfolk to richmond this morning. Looks like overnight there were a few deer hit.... which means they are already starting to get pretty stupid chasing each other around. Saw two dead does and two dead bucks.... all several miles apart. Bucks were fairly small.... one basket rack and one yearling... obviously hit early this morning.

With this cold front/rain moving in tonight (thursday 10/16) today, tomorrow and saturday all ought to be pretty prime days. A buddy of mine shot two does last night down in tidewater and saw about 16 deer in total. It should just get better and better right on up til the second week of November when peak breeding starts occuring.

Vabowman 10-16-2008 10:39 AM

yep what swampcollie said!

JoeyG 10-16-2008 12:05 PM

Sat. looks awesome! 46 degrees at 7 AM! I really think the deer will be moving. Hopefully the bucks stay out a little later and wander around.

rem700man 10-16-2008 06:10 PM

just got in,,,1st time in 3 years that i got skunked at this spot,,,did'nt see a deer???? I thought tonight would be good with this front comin in but it was 78 degrees when i got on stand,,,seein some rubs (few and far between) not a scrape yet around the field edges but im expecting it to happen soon,,,oh and im huntin the prince william/fauquier co. line around the New baltimore area

buckmaster 10-16-2008 06:57 PM

I watched a nice 8pnt this evening, and man his neck was Huge! I can almost smell it myself!:D

VA5326 10-16-2008 08:12 PM

Had a spork horn dogging a doe in front of me tonight. She wanted nothing to do with the yearling. But he was chasing her around in endless circles around my tree tonight. It was alot of fun to watch. Looks like the adolescents may be starting to feel the effects of their hormones.

HoytSpeed 10-18-2008 08:10 PM

Saw 3 bucks together this evening, two of them were sparring eachother, just kinda playing around i guess. i grunted twice at them, and they came walkin my way. Their definitely still in bachelor groups, but things should be heating up within the next couple weeks.

have any of you tried mock scrapes?