SE VA bow hunting club >

SE VA bow hunting club

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

SE VA bow hunting club

Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default SE VA bow hunting club

I am a 30 year old SSG in the Army stationed at Ft. Eustis. My fiancé and I are looking for people in SE VA to start a bow hunting club. This club would be started from the ground up. I would acquire land leases and and go from there. It would be a very "member involved" club. I do not mind putting in my effort but I expect the same from everybody else. The land leases would determine the amount of dues. I am not looking to make money off this. 100% of dues would go to land and land improvements. I want a legitimate club with a treasurer and all. Everyone would be open to see where every penny goes and spending would be on a voting basis. I just want somewhere to hunt and it is to expensive for one to do alone. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SE VA bow hunting club

Good Luck!!!

Historically that's been a dog hunting area...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

well, change has got to start somewhere.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck. I spent the last year plus looking for land. It is extremely difficult to find. People that want this type of club are out there. I have a long list of those. I called lumber companies, placed ads and bid on a few places. All I managed to get was 200 acres. It's a hot spot but it's not the 2,000-4,000 acres I had enough people to support leasing and forming a club. It's tough to get and it's all taken.

BTW there is already a club operating in Sussex that is mostly bow only. They had openings earlier this year. I have no idea what they have now.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM

Name of the club is called South Hampton Bowman. We have land that is connected to theirs. Im considering joining it next year.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, it would be hard to do. May have more interest if you solicited a still hunt only club. But as nchawkeye said, it's mostly a dog hunting area. Wherever you lease, you will be having conflicts with other hunt clubs dogs crossing boundary lines. I would recommend hunting on the military bases. There are several bases to hunt within two hours of Ft Useless, I've hunted a few and have been successful. Even shot a 130 buck at one of them.

I've tried to get permission in K&Q county and King William county. Everyone already had leases to dog clubs. BUT...some of the farmer/landowners are getting fed up with the clubs not shooting does. So, a good foot in the door is to hunt does only. Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: UFunny2

I agree, it would be hard to do. May have more interest if you solicited a still hunt only club. But as nchawkeye said, it's mostly a dog hunting area. Wherever you lease, you will be having conflicts with other hunt clubs dogs crossing boundary lines. I would recommend hunting on the military bases. There are several bases to hunt within two hours of Ft Useless, I've hunted a few and have been successful. Even shot a 130 buck at one of them.

I've tried to get permission in K&Q county and King William county. Everyone already had leases to dog clubs. BUT...some of the farmer/landowners are getting fed up with the clubs not shooting does. So, a good foot in the door is to hunt does only. Just a thought.
Or have a club rule earn a buck policy. Give the owner a report at the end of the year with what was taken with pics.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

It's sad to say, but at this time if you want to join a club that only still hunts you have to go west. There is a still hunt club near Blackstone that may have some spots, but they still have to deal with hounds from other hunters.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

i see alot of post from people saying WHY you cant do it but how bout getting a few people to say HELL YEAH!! lets do it. lets get the land and do it!!! nothing is impossible. i do know this though, if all of us still hunters sit around and complain about not being able to find land then eventually the dog runners WILL have all the land and then we will really be screwed!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Spike

I agree Jimmy....what's the next step

Quick Reply: SE VA bow hunting club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.