S.C Deer Opener THIS Friday >

S.C Deer Opener THIS Friday

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

S.C Deer Opener THIS Friday

Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Spike

Default RE: S.C Deer Opener THIS Friday

Wow that is early. Must be tough to beat the heat though.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

I hate it. We have the genetics for nice bucks. They just don't get to live over 1.5yrs old. I get so tired of hearing "lower-state VS upper-state".
Yep, I'd vote for an antler point restriction and a bag limit. Everywhere they've gone to that, quality has jumped tremendously.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure about an antler restriction because I really don't think that the gov't should be able to tell you what size buck to shoot on your own land. Now, WMA is different. I would love to see an ENFORCEABLE buck limit. I would like to bring the check in stations back inwhich EVERY deer had to be checked in and tagged by the checkin station. And if you are caught with a deer that hasn't been tagged by the check in station you'd be hit with a stiff fine and lose of hunting privlages.

What I would like to see if a shorter gun season and an extended bow season. If the low county wants to keep the early opener thats fine. It is truely unique to get a buck in velvet. However, open it up for a few weeks in August then shut it back down until Oct. or so.

Our deer don't stand a chance. They are hunted half of the year, but what do you expect when your game commission is run by politicans and not biologist? Most states look at their deer as a resource. SC looks at them as a nuisance thats need to be exterminated.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, I wonder how many of our politicians are now or ever have been hunters. A lot of the old ones are dead now andbeing replaced by a younger generation of business men and lawyers.
I was at a farm country club this weekend helping cut brush. Nobody hunted the opener and we only heard a few shots from the surrounding clubs. We watched a nice buck feed in a peanutfield undisturbed. There was a time when lead would have been flying. It does seem thatlately there are less young gung-ho hunters and us older guys are letting more of the young bucks live.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM

just go down one more state (GA) and there are some big ones, if you go to the right places, too bad i am in florida, some deer i have seen that were taken were around 50-60 pounds[:@][&:][:'(][][&o][X(]
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow,I had a great time. The thermacell was amazing! I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I didn't shoot, but my Dad did. He likes to shoot.

That was a hunting trip that I'm glad I did, but I don't think I'd do it again. God put hunting season in the fall for a good reason. There was awhole lot of shooting! I bowhunted the first three hunts, but switched to gun after that.

The land was awesome, the guide was extremely knowledgeable, and we all saw lots of deer, but it was too hot for sitting in a stand sweating for 4-5 hours at a time. The morning hunts were comfortable till about 10:00, but the evening hunts were very hot.

I'm excited about hanging some stands and getting ready, so I guess it was a good primer!

Trae