Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws? >

any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 AM

Default RE: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Considering the amount of tresspass, poaching, and property damage/theft by still hunters as well, lack of accomodation and flexibility seems to be the rule.

That is a valid point. I suppose that because dog hunting is more widely visable and audible that most folks point a finger at them. Usually I'd suspect when a wrong is done by a still hunter nobody can really say if it was a "still hunter" or a neighbor or some kids or what....

Usually its dog drivers, looking for their dogs on others property who are seen there.... and when something turns up missing, guilty or just in the wrong place at the wrong time, its certainly easy to assume it was a dog driver. Rather unfair really, but I see your point Lanse.
As the law currently stands, looking for dogs is not legal. They are allowed to retrieve, but it doesn't say they are allowed to look for them. They have to know "their dogs" are there and where they are at.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

ORIGINAL: ButchA

I don't have a problem with dogs. I love dogs. I have a black lab (male)and a beagle (female) but I don't take them hunting. They are just family pets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Rabbit hunting with a beagle? Cool.
Duck hunting with a lab? Cool.
Upland bird hunting with a spaniel? Cool.
(Notice none of these dog owners have issues with land owners, other hunters, etc...)
Deer hunting with a hound dog? Uh, okay... whatever... It's just not my thing...

I have had my share of run-ins with deer doggers, said some things I shouldn't have said, and probably acted like a fool a time or two. All I am saying, is that we all need to come to some sort of agreement. I learned the hard way not to fight the deer doggers. There are way too many of them to just li'l ol' me. So, I just go hunting out in the GWNF where they don't run (or at least where they shouldn't run).

Lately, I am extremely PO'd with the DGIF and their "good ol boy network", to where I am looking at going out of state and not bothering to hunt here. I may change my mind... who knows... but for right now, I feel that this state is in sorry shape as far as hunting, hunting regulations, deer hounds running amok, hunters shooting dogs, trapping dogs, etc... it makes me sick. [>:]
Whew... was starting to worry what you'd say about rabbit hunting w/ beagles
Aw, it's alright, Coolbrze0...[8D] Beagles are cool. I own one. I'd love to get her trained to go after rabbits as it's in her nature. I'd love to take her hunting with me, but I'm afraid once I let her off the leash, I'll never see her again. (she's a little ignorant and still somewhat of a puppy).

Anyway, what I was getting at regarding the DGIF is that it seems we hunters always get the raw end of the deal. We end up paying fees for this and fees for that and always abide by the rules, while "others" can (and do) what they want and not have to answer for their actions. There isjusta serious double standard in this state that ticks me off. [:@]
Old 06-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyway, what I was getting at regarding the DGIF is that it seems we hunters always get the raw end of the deal. We end up paying fees for this and fees for that and always abide by the rules, while "others" can (and do) what they want and not have to answer for their actions. There is just a serious double standard in this state that ticks me off. [:@]
The wildlife and birding trails, made to support the granola bunch and paid for by sportsmen didn't sit all that well with me... but if it makes you feel any better... it didn't sit too well with the game or fish sides of the department either I suspect. But... to have game and fish... you need a diverse eco-system and all that good crap. So it goes.... rather have a birding trail then a WaWa or a Wal-Mart.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deepzak

As the law currently stands, looking for dogs is not legal. They are allowed to retrieve, but it doesn't say they are allowed to look for them. They have to know "their dogs" are there and where they are at.
Thats good to know. I honestly was not aware of that. So, in theory I can actually file a tresspassing charge in the event that they do not find their dogs? What if they have to cross your property on foot in order to get to a swamp bottom or some such where there dogs are?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyway, what I was getting at regarding the DGIF is that it seems we hunters always get the raw end of the deal. We end up paying fees for this and fees for that and always abide by the rules, while "others" can (and do) what they want and not have to answer for their actions. There is just a serious double standard in this state that ticks me off. [:@]
The wildlife and birding trails, made to support the granola bunch and paid for by sportsmen didn't sit all that well with me... but if it makes you feel any better... it didn't sit too well with the game or fish sides of the department either I suspect. But... to have game and fish... you need a diverse eco-system and all that good crap. So it goes.... rather have a birding trail then a WaWa or a Wal-Mart.
Good point... Very good point!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deepzak

Thats good to know. I honestly was not aware of that. So, in theory I can actually file a trespassing charge in the event that they do not find their dogs? What if they have to cross your property on foot in order to get to a swamp bottom or some such where there dogs are?
Has anyone ever heard of a person being found guilty of any dog related crime? The running out of season law exist but has there ever been anyone convicted of it?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmmm.....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM

It would appear that things are definitely going to change. I would like to see the road hunting go away, but I don't want to see a few jack-asses spoil a great sport. I'd be for paying a little more for a "dog license" if it meant keeping things alive, but ending dog hunting could only make the anti's more powerful. I believe we need to create a minimum acerage deal, that would keep the guys who turn dogs loose on private property out of the picture. We also could use a little more support from the local sheriffs. They turn a blind eye even when dog clubs complain about each other.

Thing will change, but dog hunting is here to stay!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been trying to stay out of this one .But this big bird cat has made it tough. I sometimes hunt with friends that run dogs,Most times I Hunt from a a stand.Some of my best deer came when the dogs went through and 'ol big horn came sneaking in from behind them.Lots of times I have been in the tree half of the day but when I hear dogs aways off I know there is going to be action (most likely).I absolutly have no use for some one who would shoot another persons dog just because it crosses their land.Trapping one is worse .If a person came down to my neck of the woods with that purpose they would most likley be left in the trap themselves. Shoot my dog and you don't want to know what will happen to you.BTW in Va.if you shoot a deer on your land and it runs to another persons land and dies YOU can go retrieve your game as long as you don't have a weapon.If that person does not let you call the DGIF and a officer will ****** you to retrieve your kill ,if the land owner still does not like it they will take him to jail.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swampdog
BTW in Va.if you shoot a deer on your land and it runs to another persons land and dies YOU can go retrieve your game as long as you don't have a weapon.If that person does not let you call the DGIF and a officer will ****** you to retrieve your kill ,if the land owner still does not like it they will take him to jail.
I liveandhunt in Va. and I have never heardthat onebefore. What is your reference on this subject? I think it shouldbe only fair to let youdo this. If it is true, I would be happy and I guess I just learned something new.

Quick Reply: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.