Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Sad news article >

Sad news article

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sad news article

Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sad news article

Ironically, domestic animals such as hogs, geese and ducks that are escaped are encouraged by the state to be shot on sight... infact, if you are hunting, not doing so (in the case of waterfowl) you can acctually be found guilty of hunting over live decoys if the birds to not depart the area in a manner like a wild bird would at the on set of yelling, clapping hands or gun fire.

Yet, a dog in such a situation is apparently entitled to habeus corpus. Who would have thunk it?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Rick, based on the effort you have put into insuring your animals have readily ID available Idoubt your dogs ever run at large. Isn't it funny how the owners who spend all the money and time making sure their K9 are chipped and collared rarely ever have to depend on it? Kinda like insurance, you spend the money for something you hope you never have to use.As far as the article with the dates being so close kinda sounds likethe true intent ofwhat went on there was not printed in the paper.Althoughshootingthe dogs out right is wrong I just don't think it should fall underthe cruelitycode.

Besides,I discussed it with my wife and she cleared it all up for me.She said I am a complete butt for thinking that way and after day I am on restriction to one sentence responses.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM

After reading this thread, I can understand why hunting may be in trouble. A person or childs dog pulls out of his collar and runs off and he is fair game because he doesn't have a collar. Are you people into just killing or are you into the sport of hunting. Killing some ones pet or dog isn't something I think ethical hunters or land owners should do. The difference in shooting a dog and a deer is the deer is wild but most likely the dog has been taught to trust people. Why don't you just pet him and then shoot him. He would make a better target if just lying there. If the dog was showing aggression, then I feel he would be fair game but shouldn't be just because he is on your land. I am into the sport of hunting, not just killing. Just my opinion.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atgvir

After reading this thread, I can understand why hunting may be in trouble. A person or childs dog pulls out of his collar and runs off and he is fair game because he doesn't have a collar. Are you people into just killing or are you into the sport of hunting. Killing some ones pet or dog isn't something I think ethical hunters or land owners should do. The difference in shooting a dog and a deer is the deer is wild but most likely the dog has been taught to trust people. Why don't you just pet him and then shoot him. He would make a better target if just lying there. If the dog was showing aggression, then I feel he would be fair game but shouldn't be just because he is on your land. I am into the sport of hunting, not just killing. Just my opinion.
Yeah... you caught us! Welcome to the internet home of pet dog shooting!

The issue at hand is not with shooting dogs from a hunting standpoint. It deals with dogs that are used for hunting, and are on the land of another. And its not even like anyone on here is advocating shooting someone else property. The discussion has centered around taking alook at and amending the laws concerning running deer with hounds in Virginia, and the right of the dog owner to retreive his dog from the land of another without consent, which under current law is totally legal assuming he is on foot and unarmed.

The issue has come up due to an increase in private non-hunting or still hunting landowners/leasees finding dogs and dog drivers on their property. Legally or not, many of these landowners are not happy with the way things have been going. Its a long story.... but nobody is advocating just shooting dogs for the sheer hell of it.... nobody is advocating shooting deer for sheer hell of it either. This is not the Gestapo over here.