Running Dogs In VA >

Running Dogs In VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Running Dogs In VA

Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Spike

Default Running Dogs In VA

Ok folks how in the heck can I get a deer when some one drops off 5 dogs on the road near the area I was on? The dogs come on the property run the doe I had noted crossing the same road at 5:30 AM going in to the beding area. I know that deer are around for I see the signs but I am unable to pattern any thing with the free leash team running the dogs on other properties than they have leased. I spend $22 in gas driving down from MD to VA since I really like the area. But I just can not fight this on top of this the owner told me to shoot them if I wanted. Now that is something that I'll pass on since I love dogs. But I respect others wishes to run dogs during gun season but enough is enough. All this is going to do is piss more off and it will be an end to your desires.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Running Dogs In VA

Doesn't Virginia have rules regarding the running of dogs? Are these guys violating those rules? Do you have the game warden's phone number? You don't have to shoot a dog who's owner is packing it back into the truck to leave because a game warden just wrote him a fat ticket.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont shoot their dogs, its not the dogs fault.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

It's the same old thing David. Just find another place to hunt or hunt when you know that the dogs are not there. I don't even waste my time anymore with argueing or calling the authorities. Nothing changes with these dog hunters. The dogs can't read signs, the dogs don't know when they are going on someone elses land, the dogs will push deer to you also, ect, ect, ect. They will never change and that is why there won't be any legal dog hunting in VA in another 5 years. I'll get in trouble on this subject on this forum from the dog guys, but the fact is that they can't, or won't, control thier dogs and they ruin other hunters time in the woods. It's only a matter of time.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree w/ VA Mike, the GW wont be able to do anything. They'll be back running dogs next Sat. Def. don't shoot the dogs, it's not their fault!

Problems like this arise b/c the large tracts of land that were deer hunted w/ dogs 2+ generations back are no longer large tracts of land. Many city folk have moved to the country anda lot of these large tracts have been split up and sold off... My advice is grin & bear w/ it. It's bittersweet, no doubt, I'd wait for those dogs to run a deer by you or unfortunately find another place to hunt.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot stand it when idiots let their dogs run on land that is not theirs. It is just unbelievable. My older brother used to have 50 acres in Spotsylvania County and once gun season started, dogs would be running all over the place. The deer would be tearing by at warp speed. I had a nice doe coming in one day and then 2 dogs came by at full speed, pushing her out of my range. I've also had running dogs come and pee on the tree I am sitting in...LOL. But for real, that stuff annoys the hell out of me...not the dogs fault and I would NEVER shoot a dog unless it were attacking me. But the audacity of people to put collars on dogs, then drive around tracking them on other peoples property--good god.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you are saying... Believe me... I tried to argue and fight with the dog runners, and ended up like: I learned my lesson the hard way. The dog runners are like 3000+ strong compared to just 1 (me).

Sooooo, I learned to just go hunting where they don't go. I head way out to the George Washington Natl Forest over the other side of the Blue Ridge. No dogs... Just peace and quiet... They can run dogs all they want east of the Blue Ridge and I'll go hunt west of the Blue Ridge, and we all will get along.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Spike

I grew up on a small farm in Minnesota so you could only hunt dogs on birds and rabbits. During deer season it was still legal to use them but I never had the problem with that since every one stayed where they had permisson to hunt on. No one crossed over and that is what has me PO I feel that the person who was using the dogs this weekend could care less about any one else. I live up in Montgomery County Maryland and hate seeing all the land being chewed up intohousing areas. I see it this way if you plan your hunt and stick too it the dogs would not be any issue at all.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have the same problem with one of my areas, but they can't shoot onto it. The area above me has my hunting property on one side and other private land on the other side of the road. They can't shoot from the road onto any property and they know this, but they still drop their dogs off on the other side of the leased land so they can run toward this road. I caught one shooting and let him know next time he'll be prosecuted. They solved that problem by trying to release the dogs ONTO the property I hunt so they can push deer out to where they CAN shoot. Caught them doing that this weekend. They've even run off the two small does I've been trying to get.

It's a never ending battle, if you stop them from doing one thing they're going to do another.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

this is why there is a big push by people in va. now to stop the running of deer with dogs. i think there is enough money behind this fight that they just may put a stop to it in next few years. i would like to see them stop running bear with dogs ,the bear has no chance sooner or later he's going up a tree and then he's dead.

Quick Reply: Running Dogs In VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.