had a couple of scares

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

had a couple of scares

Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: had a couple of scares

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

Interesting about the palms. However, I wonder about the species. I'm sure that Washingtonia palms aren't native to Florida, so I'm guessing they wouldn't be found deep in the woods. Sure it's wasn't just a native Sabal palm? They will also have the fruit. Maybe you were hunting in a suddivision? HA HA Just kidding. Anyway, cool story about the bear. Stay safe.
My appologiesfor calling it a Washington Palm, BugsNbows knows his Swamp Cabbage!Yep!....Sabal Palm! Man, as much of Catfish & Swamp Cabbage that I have eaten...

Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Reb, I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all... just wanted to get correct info out. Now that you mention it, I haven't had any swamp cabbage in a long time. Used to cut and stew it (with maters) alot when I lived down in Charlotte County. Most came off Babcock property. bNb
Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Reb, I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all... just wanted to get correct info out. Now that you mention it, I haven't had any swamp cabbage in a long time. Used to cut and stew it (with maters) alot when I lived down in Charlotte County. Most came off Babcock property. bNb
I use to eat Cat Fish & Swamp Cabbage on Wednesdaysat Patsy's in Perry, FL. back in the early 90's...

Been to Baddcock a few times back in the 80's. Like their rifle sighting-in range. Another thing I liked about it was that Iwent South on I-75 and it was right at the Exit in Sarasota.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know the palm i was in was a Sable palm....there was no fruit on it, but it did have ants all over the backside of it....didn't know this until the bear had left.....i had been getting any bitten all darn day, just thought it was from walking through the marsh....LOL.....but i'm thinking he was trying to get them...
I haven't had swamp cabbage in years...every once in awhile i'll be opening up areas and i'll hit a cabbage palm, just the right way with the tree cutter and the heart will be laying there screaming my name..lol....love it cooked or raw...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huntnma, those were likely carpenter ants. They love to nest in those palms. Maybe they were just looking for something sweet...like you?!!!! LOL Good luck and watch out for those bears.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck and watch out for those bears.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntnma, those were likely carpenter ants. They love to nest in those palms. Maybe they were just looking for something sweet...like you?!!!! LOL Good luck and watch out for those bears.
haha, nope , they were fire ants, all 2 million of em, lol.....i have bites all over my arms and neck and belly....i wanted to get down but i was damned if i was climbing down after that bear, lol.....after awhile they left me alone.....i think something had died up in the fronds.....they weren't there the next day...