Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think? >

the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think?

i heard from the "deer doctor" that most people use the can the wrong way, the people that hold there finger on it, and flip it over and let the bleat slowly come out, without ever removing there finger from it, he said when u flip it ur supposed to shake it a little so its not continous, and sort of a broken up sound...
the way most people do it means danger, he said, if u ever see a deer running, use the can this way and it will stop them in there tracks no matter how fast there running, so basiclly ive been scaring away deer all this time...

is this true? cause i use the can by flipping it and letting that sound slowly come out until it stops.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the "can" scares deer away if you use it the way you think?

Which day did you go to the show?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Not from my experience. TheCAN works better then rattling or grunting for us here. Mine is getting old and doesn't slide as nice as when itwas new ( especially in cold weather )... so I get the brokenup sound. Tyler'swas new this year and seemed to work better forpulling in bucks with the steady sound. The doesmight look but never spook.They go back to feeding within seconds and ignore it if you use it again a little later. That is one of the reason I favor theCAN over rattling and grunting and quit with the latter two.TheCANonly seemed to get the bucks to move in and not draw unwanted attention from the does.

We don't over use it though.We only use it to trytopull a buck that is not heading our way or a last ditch effort at the end of the hunt if things are slow.

Tim
Old 03-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have NEVER had a deer spook because of my "Can" use, ever.I have had good results bringing in bucks. One day I had an 8pt walking behind me and away and I got him to turn and come directly towards me, he busted me on the draw![:@]
Old 03-10-2007, 06:13 AM

The old saying ," believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see " seems to apply well here -LOL. I tend to take the late President Reagan's advice myself " Trust but verify" and from my field observations , the can works regardless of how you use it. The only real way is to go out and use it on deer that you can see and then find out for yourself.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

I've brought in a few bucks and a curious doe with the can over the past couple years. The problem is after they hear it and they don't see a doe anywhere, theyget spooked. I brought a 7 point in last year. He was out about 75 yards. I bleated and he came right at me. I got busted on the draw too. The can is the only thing that works for me. I don't use rattling or grunt calls any more.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gary, the same thing happened when I rattled in a couple of bucks in Alberta. They come in on the rattle and when they don't see the maker of the noise they break camp with a quickness. There's a short window to work with. They get real nervous real quick. I've had this happen with the "can" as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

that makes sense to me
Old 03-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think?

I Used the can to call in both my bucks this year...it works wonders i tell ya
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default RE: the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think?

i use the can and it brought in a buck and some does. i dont let it break up. 1 smooth bleat.

Quick Reply: the "can" scares deer away, if you use it the way you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.