Opening day VA >

Opening day VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Opening day VA

Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opening day VA

Did anyone have any luck yesterday? If so, post some pics on my site; if not tell us your stpry on there.

www.vahuntfish.fpb10.com
Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opening day VA

Honest? I skipped out on opening day.... [&o]

What was it, like 97* in the shade yesterday? I mean, come on guys... it's still way too hot to hunt. I don't want to sweat heavily,spend the day swatting mosquitos, not see anything, and worse --- stink up my hunting area from all the sweat. [:'(]

There lots of time yet.......

Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

It wasn't that hot in Roanoke. It was around like 80 when I went in at 2 P.M. By the way thanks for signing up on my site. Don't be shy posting I really need some posters.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Opening day was beautiful, wasn’t hot at all very comfortable in Spotsylvania county 72 degree, at about 7:10 I had two does come in. The first walked right down my shooting lane never offering a shot she stood there for ten minutes trying to figure out, what I was etc. stomping and snorting as I was at half draw ten feet off the ground eye to eye contact 7 yards just waiting for that one shot. As I almost came to full draw the other doe walked out to my right that split second she moved behind a tree I was shaking my head NO! They walked out of sight when I looked again they were 20 yards walking away from view. I should've drawed back and quick shot her I thought, but my mind and ethics didn't allow for such an attempt increasing my chances of wounding than harvesting.

At about 2:00 pm 76 degree I had five does walk circles around me for about 45 minutes neither offering a shot, something spooked them once as they almost dashed off but returned this lasted for about an hour, all I was saying over and over in my head please step into the shooting lane. I made a homemade ladder stand works great, however I think I need to take it up to 15' right now it’s right @ 10' very portable and light weight.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

was mid 60's in the AM when i went out, got busted by a fawn when i was drawing back on her mother. That afternoon 3 does came out and I was able to harvest the largest of the three, a great heart shot, she only went 40 yards. My friend was filming, then we switched and maybe 15 minutes later he nailed one. Was hot as could be when we climbed in, but once the sun dropped behind the trees, cooled down nicely. Now I am big buck hunting, hoping for some cooler temps.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

I saw plenty of deer, even had a doe stomp at me for about five minutes and walk a circle around me trying to figure out what I was. I'm not shooting a doe yet, waiting for the bucks. It wasn't too bad, Iwas sittingin a bottom where it was shady and cooler. I also saw about 15 turkeys. fun first day!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't go out on Sat. due to work commitments and I feel that I didn't miss anything, except a very nice sunset. The heat has taken some of my enthusiasm away, but on Monday morning I do plan to make a go of it, probably until about 10:30 AM. Why do I use the heat as an excuse? Because I'm carrying a 28 lb. climber, my Hoyt and a day pack on slopy terrain. It's not too far, but enough to get the sweat glands going.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

No bow, didn't go. One day...one day.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Post these stories on www.vahuntfish.fpb10.comI'm sure everyone on their would love to hear them.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 PM

I was out before first light and it was uneventful til @ 8:30. That's when I spotted an 8 pointer alone. I glassed him for about 10 minutes as he walked my direction into a thicket and I lost a visual. As I was trying to anticipate his entrance in front of me, I began to hear alot of barking in the distance. It turned out to be over two dozen hound's with two fox hunters on horsesmaking all kind's of racket yelling and bugeling. All of the sudden the 8 pointer, along with three bucks and 4 does came blasting by me. Three of them, includin the 8 point,stopped long enough for a shot. My storied response is also a question to who reads this; would you consider this "fair chase" and would you have shot any them? I'm not one who hunt's with dog's and I don't want to ban fox hunting, but I felt like the morning was somewhat tainted. Anyhow, I enjoyed being out there regardless. Good luck to all this season.

Quick Reply: Opening day VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.