North Florida Bowhunters >

North Florida Bowhunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

North Florida Bowhunters

Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Default North Florida Bowhunters

Howdy,

Anyone planning on hunting the Archery season at Hickory Mound and/or Aucilla? I have hunted Aucilla heavily for the past 3 years, but you can't take Does there, which sucks...cause that's all I've ever seen there lol. Seen tons of hogs...even taken a few. But last year I hunted the Hickory Mound Unit which seemed much more promising. Saw several bucks, but couldn't get a shot off. Took a doe on opening morning last year. I plan on going again this year. Did some preliminary scouting this morning. Saw a few hogs...found a few spots to hang a stand.

Anyone else planning on bowhunting here this year?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Default RE: North Florida Bowhunters

where in north fl are you?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 AM

Monticello, in Jefferson County.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Flatlander

Monticello, in Jefferson County.
IMO, Jefferson is the best county in FL to hunt. Most people don't know that's the only county in FL that is from the Georgia line to the Gulf Of Mexico.

I haunted Hogs in Taylor (Perry) for 11yrs straight. We had times when two of us would take 7 and 8 Hogs in one week-end....

I also hunted Wakulla, Jefferson and Taylor (Aucilla WMA) for 5yrs before Flint Rock was added. I had great success on the banks of the ST. Marks River , west of HWY 98.

Was in a club in Madison County also....
Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Camp Misery Hunting Club which borders Hickory Mound. Yes, there are plenty of bucks in there, and it should be easier to hunt seeing as it isn't 90 %standing water.Look for dropping acorns and/or persimmon trees. If you haven't heard yet, a local taylor county guy killed 7 bucks out of one tree last year during bow season. I killed a 3 & 4 pt during bow season last year, and missed 6 bucks with my bow(Faulty arrow rest problem). Rifle should be good also in Hickory Mound, because when we get to running dogs in the club some bucks migrate that way. No shortage of hogs either in there.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I won't be hunting Hickory Mound during the gun season. I'll be in Still-Hunt-Only areas in Appalachacola Forest and maybe I'll try Aucilla. I can't stand dog hunting and don't want to be anywhere near it when I'm hunting. I'm looking forward to Archery opener though. Just curious...what kind of scents/attractanct are you guys using during the North Florida Archery Season?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FLOutlander

Just curious...what kind of scents/attractanct are you guys using during the North Florida Archery Season?
Ask any old timer in Perry and he'll tell you Siberian Pine Oil......

Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Are you serious? Or just kidding. Is it used as a Cover or Attractant? Where can I find some?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FLOutlander

Are you serious? Or just kidding. Is it used as a Cover or Attractant? Where can I find some?
Cover scent, Siberian Pine Nut Oil Is 100% Natural : 55.00 EURO 1 LITER

Another trick to cover scent in N. FL is to Roll your scent free washed hunt clothing in Fresh cut Lighter Pine splinters untill ready to hunt.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you dont like dog hunting, then you better stay out of hickory mound. Or better yet taylor county, because we are serious about our dog hunting. Don't mean to be rude about it but I love deer dogging and don't like people to disrespect it. It's the traditional way of deer hunting in the south, and about 90% of ourresidents are houndsmen.

Quick Reply: North Florida Bowhunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.