Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Florida hunters ...remember..there are trophies out there. >

Florida hunters ...remember..there are trophies out there.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida hunters ...remember..there are trophies out there.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Florida hunters ...remember..there are trophies out there.

I have hunted Green swamp before. I brought my 10 yr.old son with me. We saw a lot of tracks but no deer or hog. We did how ever see a turkey and a 4ft. gator. It's hard for me to get to far into the wood with him along but he'll learn what i teach him. First is to be quiet and step lightly. I got a permit for Avon Park this season. I'm still waiting for my first kill but weather I get it or not I just enjoy being with my son in the woos.
Good luck at the swamp
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Maybe we could all meet for breakfast sometime...Secret hunting spots won't be discussed...just good ole Floridian conversation.
C7
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM

hey everyone... new to the forum
I have seen several nice bucks out at Green Swamp. Always in the earlyAM when driving in (usually when the first one through the gate), but there are a few out there. The question is are they moving during daylight? I have seen very few deer on the stand... just when driving.

Anyone ever hunt Arbuckle WMA by Avon Park? Im going to try there during archery?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

hey everyone... new to the forum
I have seen several nice bucks out at Green Swamp. Always in the earlyAM when driving in (usually when the first one through the gate), Hey..I always thought I was the first one through the gate..but there are a few out there.Which gate do you use.? I use the Rockridge gate...I saw 2 beautiful bucks during archery last year..a nice 8 and a nice 10...they looked like norhtern bucks.... The question is are they moving during daylight?I saw these about 10:00 AM ..They ran ride across a trail in front of me..my new scouting began right there.I have seen very few deer on the stand... just when driving. I've only seen
1 spike and 2 does and 2 fawns while daylight.FROM A STAND...I'
ve seen quite a few driving and walking to and from my stand..I've had many nice ones pass by in in the dark as well as hogs..I've also had a few snort me out

Anyone ever hunt Arbuckle WMA by Avon Park? Im going to try there during archery? I drove up there..it looks difficult to hunt. I plan to hunt Green Swamp during archery...Arbuncle is 50 miles from my house...my stand in the Green swamp is about 31 miles away. I did hunt KiKco last year during Muzzle loader..It's located on the River Ranch property..
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Chuck
I use the rock ridge gate too. Only reason I'm ever there first though is cause I work nights on the North side of Lakeland and don't have time to go to south side home so I just nap at the gate... the things we will do for a little time in the woods! I saw three does last year, all during general gun... new to archery this year. But as you said the bucks I saw were quality deer for any region of the country. As for hogs... I've only seen them from the road but I have somehow gotten myself surrounded in the dark twice. Not being from the south or having any experience with hogs before - I was definitely locked and loaded.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck
I use the rock ridge gate too. Only reason I'm ever there first though is cause I work nights on the North side of Lakeland and don't have time to go to south side home so I just nap at the gate... Neat..I live near Grove Park of Lakeland. My son lives at Carlton Arms on the north end of Lakeland..He doesn't hunt though..I hunt by myself.the things we will do for a little time in the woods!I hear ya.I'm a teacher at a school off of Combee Road...so I get Thanksgiving week off and 10 days off for Christmas..that helps alot.I saw three does last year, all during general gun... new to archery this year.This is my 2nd year of serious archery..meaning my bow is set up good.I've already got 3 good trails marked up in the Green Swamp..I saw a doe and a hog last year during my archery..My knees were shaking so much I literaaly couold not stand when I saw the hog. The doe busted me..Both were at easy ranges ..10yds max.But as you said the bucks I saw were quality deer for any region of the country. As for hogs... I've only seen them from the road but I have somehow gotten myself surrounded in the dark twice.I did too last year..they were literally under my tree. When it was daylight I saw a nice sow about 90 pounds and a piglet.I almost hit a huge hog last year driving in..it looked like a hotwater heater with legs.I shot a hog my first year with a slug...if you get a shot.I'd go for the head.There is not much meat onthe average hog. The meat is very good though slow gooded in a crock pot.Not being from the south or having any experience with hogs before - I was definitely locked and loaded.

Most folks look for certain things ,,,

acorns,
water
wallowing holes
and a place away from other hunters.
[align=right]
[/align]
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

I'm a teacher at a school off of Combee Road...
[align=right]
[/align]
Ever been toGuns Galore at Combee & 92 ?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Sure have Reb..They closed their indoor range. It's 1 mile from my school and 3 miles from my house.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the advice on hogs. I'm going to drive to Arbuckle tommorrow to scout it out. I'll hunt Green Swamp too on days when I don't have much time. And Croom... it's a stretch for me .. about 90 minutes one way... but I got my quota there for first week of gun. Only Florida deerI have gotten came out of Croom two years ago. Its a nice place to hunt if you don't mind the drive.

Chuck-- my wife is a teacher too at a school on shepard road so the time off you guys get is the only time I am not allowed to hunt heavily. The rest of the season is fair game.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck-- my wife is a teacher too at a school on shepard road so the time off you guys get is the only time I am not allowed to hunt heavily. The rest of the season is fair game. Floridabucks

I know where that school is.I beleive that is Sikes Elementary. I teach at Combee Elementary..If you see me in the Green Swamp stop me and say hiI drive a white Explorer Sport with bow hunting decals in the back window..My front bumper has a JESUS license plate on it. I got a spke buck from the Green Swamp 3 years ago. I called him in with a Primos 'Can' call.

Quick Reply: Florida hunters ...remember..there are trophies out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.