South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

rain rain go away

Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: rain rain go away

Too bad we can't send some of this rain to you guys who need it right now. I can understand where you're coming from because we've been in a drought for some time now. This year is really different. I commute across the border to work in Texas and the rain was really heavy this morning and across the roadway in 15 different places. I have had to bale my alfalfa and throw it in a wash because it has been rained on so much. Now my wheat straw that I was going to bale to try to make a little extra spending money has been ruined after spending all day in 102 degree heat raking itwith nothing to protect me but a straw hat. I still have 56 acres of wheat that needs to be harvested but with the rain there's no way to get in the field to get it. It will more than likely be ruined before we can get to it. I can't plow the wheatfield that has been harvested and the weeds are taking it over. I also can't plow my food plots so that I can plant them because it's been too wet. I'd say so far this has cost me $5000-$6000 and I may lose that again if I can't get my wheat in. Luckily, the chicory plot is enjoying the rain as is the alfalfa so the deer have something good to eat that should be good for them. Chicory is new to them so they aren't eating it very good if any right now. When the rain goes away and it gets really hot, maybe they'll key in on it. I don't want all our rain to leave us but it would be nice to get it spread out over a little while. I'm worried that by August it will be over and we won't see any more for months.