South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hog Hunting?

Old 11-27-2002, 01:32 AM

Default Hog Hunting?

Hey everybody...I was wondering if any of my fellow arkansans knew how to get started in hog hunting around the saline river bottoms. Does anybody know who I can contact, what caliber of gun to use, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-27-2002, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Hog Hunting?

I have a couple (husband / wife) from alexander that all they do is hog hunt. they used to and may still hunt the saline river bottoms. i havent asked if they still do.
Are you looking to buy some dogs? thats the best way IMO
they catch them live but when they do have to shoot one he uses a 44 mag.
I don't know if they would take you . there dogs are BAD and i mean BAD! thats why i don't go. i just shoot them suckers around my corn feeder or set my trap. i leave most for them though.
I maight see them this weekend and if i remember i'll ask . maybe they could point you in the right direction.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog Hunting?

In Texas the hogs are like fleas. When we want to hunt then we simply make a sour mash (corn in water with yeast or a beer thrown in, let set for a couple of weeks) bury it in a field a week prior to hunting. The next week the hogs will be every where. Dont know if you can bait in Arkansas you might look into it.

As for a gun, I would go with a high calb. I use a 30-06. I have shot them with a 357 pistol, 44mag pistol, 30-30, and 270. The 270 and 30-06 work the best. My uncle will only shot them with a 454 casual

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.