Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Antler Restrictions in Virginia >

Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Default RE: Antler Restrictions in Virginia

I agree with you. The hunt club I belong to does not shoot any bucks under 6 points. We concentrate on does which are plentiful. Once in a while you'll take a button by accident. We lease the land we hunt and unfortunately the clubs surrounding us practice "if it's brown it's down".
Kind of pisses you off when you try to manage the herd and your neighbors reap the benefits.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

We have practiced antler restrictions onour propertyfor the past 5 years. Shoot any doe you want, but a buck must have 3 points on at least 1 side. And, if he is a small six, we usually let him walk too. What is frustrating, is that we only own 300 acres, and the small bucks that we let walk are often shot by the neighbors, some of whom have the audacity to build permanent stands facing into our property from 20 or 30 feet over the lines.

For antler restrictions to work, they must be mandated by the state of Virginia, as is done in other states.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Here in Georgia, you are allowed 2 buck tags...also WMA tags that DNR give you when you get a WMA permit. We have antler restrictions. One buck can be any size, but the other one has to be a minimum of 4 points on either side, at least 1 inch long. We are allowed 10 does though.

Yea, I also know Rusty_S' friend, and he HAS killed like 5 deer this year...only one worthy of a processing fee. I live with a Boxer dog, and this guy has shot deer smaller than that...total BS!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Dude your first deer was in the process of being born and you shot it anyway.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Sureisaniceskimask

Dude your first deer was in the process of being born and you shot it anyway.
MY first deer? you mean Suggs' dont you?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:38 PM

You mean Sugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggs
Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM

thats weird i was just telling my dad today i wish we had that. we only have 75 acres in va, hunted around by hunt clubs so im guilty of shooting some smaller ones because i have to be.

I also think the doe resrictions hurt it too. When you can only shoot bucks the majority of the season, its really easy to get frustrated when you see does every day with nothing you can do...then u take it out on the first thing with horns !haha
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sureisaniceskimask
I love the idea of antler restrictions. It's stupid when people shoot spikes just for the kill. Stupid people shooting dog sized deer piss me off... [:@]
Wow.... [&:]

Sorry! My small spike/3 pointer was the only deer I saw in 3 solid days of hunting. I WASN'T GOING TO GO ANOTHER YEAR OF GETTING SKUNKED. Sorry, but, I had to. I just had to get my first deer under my belt first, before I could now look at QDM and antler restrictions.

Butch A.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

If you want bigger antlers hunt bigger deer. Don't wait for the dogs to chase the big ones to you. Virginia has plenty of trophy class deer, I see them all the time while driving the country roads with my job. If you have antler restrictions in the mix, after 5 or so years shooting an 8 pt won't really be any thrill for those rack junkies. Virginia is on the right track with the established limits now (at least where I hunt). Like I said before, Va has plenty of trophy class deer. If you want one, be a better hunter and hunt one. The way you boys from Georgia are talking, maybe AR might be right for you. Oh yeah, and Butch, again...congrats on your 3pt!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: UFunny2

If you want bigger antlers hunt bigger deer. Don't wait for the dogs to chase the big ones to you. Virginia has plenty of trophy class deer, I see them all the time while driving the country roads with my job. If you have antler restrictions in the mix, after 5 or so years shooting an 8 pt won't really be any thrill for those rack junkies. Virginia is on the right track with the established limits now (at least where I hunt). Like I said before, Va has plenty of trophy class deer. If you want one, be a better hunter and hunt one. The way you boys from Georgia are talking, maybe AR might be right for you. Oh yeah, and Butch, again...congrats on your 3pt!
Very well said !!

If you Georgia folks want AR so dang bad, just skip over VA and head on up to PA, then come back and tell us just how much fun you had!

And yeah Butch congrats on your 1st Deer!

Quick Reply: Antler Restrictions in Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.