Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va. Hunters

Old 10-14-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Va. Hunters

Hey guys, I posted apost like this in the bowhunting page but it's so busy in there that there weren't any replies so I thought I would ask some of you. I'm from Fl. and will be going to eastern Va. in a few days to bowhunt. The past four years I've hunted farms in Ohio and Pa. but I was invited to Norfolk, Va. so I thought I would give it a try. Any thoughts on what I can expect as far as the numbers of deer and their sizes compared to Pa. and Ohio?? Oh and do you know of any bird farms (phesant) around the area? thanks for any help, --Millpond
Old 10-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Va. Hunters

Millpond,

The best thing I suggest is cruise over to the main DGIF (Game & Inland Fisheries) website and read everything you want to read:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/

Northern VA has literally thousands of deer and a good majority are on private property and posted/unhuntable land. Norfolk is home to PETA - so use your own judgement there... [:'(]

Upland bird hunting (pheasants, chukars) is all done on private game preserves and from what I have heard, it costs a pretty penny too. There is info on the DGIF site about it too.

Good luck... I'm getting myself ready to head out this afternoon for bowhunting...

Butch A.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:32 AM

Based on what I've read, heard, and saw on TV you will be seeing deer here that are much smaller than those found in PA and Ohio. Both body size and racks. Lots of deer out there though. You may have to shoot two to equal what your used to up north, but the chance of shooting two should be very good.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 AM

www.fffhuntingpreserve.com is located just south of richmond and have some good birds.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:55 AM

You won't find much, if any, hunting directly in Norfolk. Ask around, you might find someone willing to take you to a nearby hunt club for a day. Other than that, your best bet is to do as suggested above and look at the DGIF website for public lands. Deer are much smaller than you're used to. I shot an average sized doe for the area, and it went all of about 90-100 pounds. You'd be hard pressed to see does over 120, and a trophy buck around here will go about 175 pounds. Racks will be smaller/thinner for the most part, though there are a few nice ones out there. All that said, the populations of deer are very high in eastern VA, and with your big game license you will get 6 tags. Regardless of how small the deer are, 6 deer will fill your freezer.