VA ??? ON THE RUT >

VA ??? ON THE RUT

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA ??? ON THE RUT

Old 10-07-2006, 08:16 AM

Default VA ??? ON THE RUT

HELLO FELLOWS,

IVE BEEN HUNTING IN ROANOKE VA ABOUT 3 YEARS NOW AND IM HAVING TROUBLE CATCHING THE DEER IN THE RUT..... MY QUESTION IS THE EARLY MUZZLELOADER IS THIS MY BEST SHOT OR THE RIFLE SEASON, IM FROM KY BUT GO UP TO MY FAMILY'S PROPERTY AND HUNT.... EARLY MUZZL. IS NOV 1 AND RIFLE IS AT THE END OF NOVEMBER, THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP

CHRIS EDMONDS
PIKEVILLE KY
Old 10-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Default RE: VA ??? ON THE RUT

I would hunt during either the first or second week of the early muzzleloader season. Their property must be on the eastern part of the Blue Ridge and have a two week early season. Most of the counties east of the Blue Ridge allow hunting with dogs during rifle season, and that stirs things up quite a bit. The rut should be in the seeking/chasing phase during the first and second week of Nov. After that the bucks have found their mate and are harder to find.You sure are lucky to have a piece of private land around here to hunt! I'm stuck to hunting the National Forests.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Caught two big boys butting heads the other afternoon while riding out into the back field... Seems a lil too early to be believed for me;but, with the cooler temps at night maybe they're just feeling good...

Sure is a welcome sight!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Where I'm hunting in Fluvanna, I've been seeing bucks "paralleling" does upwind. Have not personally seen anyup close encounters as of yet. The boys are definitely starting to keep their eyes on'em. I'mthinking this early cool weather we've experienced is starting to stir up their hormones which could possibly lead to an early rut this season..........by a week or two. I think by the end of thisweek, the "chasing" will become more apparent. Muzzle Loader Season,as usual, will probably be the peak of rutting activity in VA.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I've been seeing bucks and does in the same field together, but they aren't showing each other any interest yet
Old 10-18-2006, 06:47 AM

last year, i rattled in a nice 8 point on nov 5th or 6th. Next day, shot a nice 9 point while stalking on the ground (got between him and his hunnies)....first two weeks of nov are def the best as long as the weather is good
Old 10-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

VA5326, where are you hunting in Fluvanna? I live out at the lake and hunt in Charlottesville, Madison, & out in Gretna. Ever hunt the Hardware WMA?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

We have some land in Cohasset and Palmyra. Close to Fork Union. Never hunted WMA. I have hunted in Fluvanna for 25 years. Same property.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Cool VA5326. Hope you have a good season!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Same to you Dakine.......good luck and good hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.