South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

hunting florida

Old 10-31-2002, 10:21 AM

Default hunting florida

Anybody hunt northwest Florida?
Old 10-31-2002, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: hunting florida

In the Bay, Washington, Escambia, Holmes, Gulf, Liberty county areas of Northwest Florida you've got about three choices (1) Join a lease/club (2) Hunt state wildlife management areas (3) Go to Alabama to hunt. The state/public lands are over pressured, especially by hunters using dogs to drive deer. Leases are slightly higher than Florida's northern neighbors. You could also check out Tyndal and Eglin Air Force Bases wildlife offices - they normally do quota hunts, but with all this war talk that might not be happening this year. I hunt my own land in NW Florida that's connected to my F-I-Ls land and a diary farm.

Florida deer are small and if they get in the swamp thickets you'll have to fight biars, snakes, and other water hazards getting them within shot range.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest

Favorite Sticker: Vegetarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter
Old 10-31-2002, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I live in NW Fl and have hunted some in Walton and Holmes counties, but the majority of the deer hunting I do is in the Troy, Al. area. The last time I hunted Eglin AFB (about 23 years ago) I said I would never hunt ther again. The place was crawling with people.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:52 PM

I'm interested in meeting some Florida hunters. Bow, Rifle, handgun all ok. Have 2002 yamaha gizzly ATV. Camping ok. Will go anywhere.
Trying to plan out of state hunt trips too.
Email me: [email protected] Live in St Pete. Lou
Old 11-08-2002, 07:20 PM

i live in south fl. and own land in okeechobee and have a lease in cypress fl, outside of marianna fl.

don't fear the night
fear what hunt's at night
the snakeman
Old 11-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

I am moving back to P'cola this coming spring- and I hope to hunt my Grandpa's land in Santa Rosa county near milton and also near Jay- any Turkey's anywhere around their???
Old 11-09-2002, 09:20 AM

dochendrix;
apalatcheecloa national forest has a ton of eastern and osceola turkeys. i have hunted there a bunch of times before i bought land.
good luck and shoot straight.

don't fear the night
fear what hunt's at night
the snakeman
Old 11-09-2002, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

There are a lot of deer around Jackson county, some of the bigger deer in the state but most of the land is private or lease. Leases ru anywhere from $500 to $1000. As most of the others have said wma are way overcrowded in all of northwest fl. We lost all our wma in Bay county because the land owner pulled them out of the program. Most of the best hunting is closer to Tallahassee near Bristol, Quincy snd there are several decent wma.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

benhunting I notice you live in Crawfordville, there are some good deer in the national forest there if you can get away from the dog hunters. For the very best hunting on wma try to get in on one of the speacial hunts on the Bradwell unit just west of Tallahassee. I was lucky enough to get to hunt it a few times before the Bradwell family leased it to the state and there are some exceptional deer and hogs on it and it was only hunted by the family and very few friends for over 50 years until 3 years ago whan they leased it to the state,who only does special quota hunts on it so there are plenty of deer and hogs. My brother live in Crawfordville and may know some private land avaailable if your interested.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]