I need Help from some TEXANS!! >

I need Help from some TEXANS!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

I need Help from some TEXANS!!

Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need Help from some TEXANS!!

I hope I posted this in the right regional forum, but I am soon to move to Austin Texas to become a Texas longhorn, a big move for a former Arkansas Razorback, but I was wanting some help on finding some public lands that are surrounding Austin?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never hunted Texas.. This would be for deer and turkey mainly.. Do I need to look east, west, north or south?? Thanks so much!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I need Help from some TEXANS!!

check out the texas parks and wild life website. They have a list of public lands throughout texas. I am sure they will help you out.

here is the link:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/
Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Welcome to TX. Head to Academy or Sportsman's Outdoors and they have a brown colored magazine, published by TX Parks and Wildlife,that lists all of the public land hunts and fees involved. Many, many to chose from in all TX counties.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:55 PM

Welcome to Texas form Houston area!

Old 02-17-2006, 03:23 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what is close to Austin. There is a WMA around Lake Sommerville that allows bowhunting. It would probably be a 1.5 hour drive from Austin? There are a lot of deer and the place is overrun with hogs. No turkeys though. Won't find much for turkeys southeast of Austin in the immediate vicinity I don't think. You need a tag $50, good for one year for Sommerville.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Sorry man, but I live just 20 minutes north of Austin and there is about ZERO public land available for deer hunting. The closest public land is Lake Granger, but I dont think there is any deer or turkey hunting allowed. Hunting is becoming such a market here that nearly all land has a price to hunt on it now. Texas I believe is 95% private owned land, and will probably stay that way. The best hunting is anywhere but to the east. South Texas has great deer and turkey, but the lease prices are higher. Go north or west into the hill country, and things arent as expensive, but the hunting is still great.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't think there was much around Austin, but I've only passed through the area a few times so I really don't know. And like Aggiehunter said, most land in Texas is privately owned (97% according to Texas Fish and Game), so to hunt Texas, you've options are fairly limited unless you get a lease. And if you plan on limiting yourself to Austin and the immediate area surrounding it, you and 10 jillion others will be trying to get the same spot. To get a good spot, you've got to get away from all the people, which means looking west and northwest a few hours away.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:08 PM

give it up texas is almost all private and you need a big wallet. find a friend with a rich dad or screen your girlfriends carefully
Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Your right and wrong, there's plenty of public land, maybe not close to Austin, but plenty of places around the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex. I hunted for several years on public land. Some of the best is around Whitney. Try the Corps of Engineers land.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Archery Slayer

Your right and wrong, there's plenty of public land, maybe not close to Austin, but plenty of places around the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex. I hunted for several years on public land. Some of the best is around Whitney. Try the Corps of Engineers land.

Like where Archery Slayer.. Dont' keep this a secret...some of would sure like to know...

Quick Reply: I need Help from some TEXANS!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.