Big Cypress W.M.A >

Big Cypress W.M.A

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Big Cypress W.M.A

Old 01-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default Big Cypress W.M.A

Hey guys. I was looking to go and check out the Big Cypress area very soon but the area isso big and i dont know where to start. I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of which area i should take a look at. Im not looking for you to tell me a spot but rather just a place to start. All help will be appreciated. Thank You.

If it helps any i will be going from Miami by Tamiami Trail. (U.S 41.)
Old 01-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Big Cypress W.M.A

It is tough hunting there, especially with a bow. I do it, but I don't recommend it to new hunters. It's too hard and can turn people off to hunting. First, during hunting season there is a lot of water everywhere. At leastwaist high in many places, andknee high in many more. There are dry spots, but you have to get your feet (and usually some other parts) wet to get there. Second, if you don't own one already, get a good bug suit like a Shannon Bug Tamer; you will need it. Third, I don't go in there without snake boots. Nuf said. Fourth, it is hot in September during bow season, so bring a lot of water. Fifth, It is very hard to move around, and you will sweat a lot no matter what you do. Plan on taking 30 to 40 minutes for every 1/2 mile on foot. On foot because even if you have a swamp buggy, you can't drive it close to where you are going to want to hunt. Also, plan on staying all day because you can't really come in and out, especially if you are carrying a treestand, bow and backpack. Bring toilet paper and lunch. Sixth, everything in the Big Cypress Swamp looks like everything else. So if you don't want to involuntarily spend the night in there (don't ask), get a handheld GPS and learn how to use it, especially the backtrack feature.

If you are still interested, there are several options. One is the Deep Lake Unit. It is appropriately named,and it is walk-in only and archery only. You can also get quota permits for a second archery season from mid-November to the end of December.You won't run into many huners in there, and there is a reason. This past year in September I saw a lot of does but not a single shooter. In November and December, after the hurricanes, I didn't even see does. To get there, go West on SR 41 about 50 miles from Miami until you get to the check station at Monroe Station. After you check in, keep going West about 10 miles until you get to the H.P. Williams Wayside and turn right (North) onto the paved road. After about 100 yards it turns into a crushed rock road called Turner River Road. Turner River Unit will be on your right. It is open for general gun season.

If you go north about 7 miles, you will come to a small bridge that crosses the canal. North of there for about another 12 miles up to I 75 on the left (West) side is Deep Lake. On the right (East) is still Turner River. There are entrances to Turner River that are marked with signs. The trails are all mud or crushed rock under water most of the time. I used to hunt in there, but not anymore. You really need a swamp buggy to go in there.When you come to the end of Turner River Road, you will be at the entrance to Bear Creek Unit.There istrail about 8 miles North of the bridge that goes West a couple of miles into Deep Lake called Fire Prarie Trail. It is all the same; hot, nasty, wetcypress swamp, wet grass praries and some pines and palmettos.750,000 acres of it. Look for slash pines growing up among the palmettos. That's where the dry (relatively) spots are. You can't hang a tree stand on a cypress tree, only the pines.

To the South of SR 41, there is Loop Unit and Stairsteps Unit. I haven't hunted in there much, but it looks the same as Turner River; very wet and hard going. It takes a certain kind of stubborness (my wife says crazyness) to hunt in there for more than a day. If you go, lots of luck and don't say I didn't warn you.