Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Need some help from you Texans >

Need some help from you Texans

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Need some help from you Texans

Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Need some help from you Texans

Hey guys I’m looking for someone out in Texas who could help me out. I’m moving out there next fall to go to school at Texas A&M and I’m looking for someone to hunt with. I have lived and hunted in Florida my whole life and I know nothing about hunting Texas and I don’t know anybody out there. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me get started. So any info will help.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need some help from you Texans

not sure were texas A & m is but you sure don not want to move to pleasanton it bites.... as for hunting a lease is about the only thing and it cost way to much . i will do most of my hunting back in oklahoma ,as much as oklahoma sucks it does have some great hunting...

Old 11-12-2005, 03:20 AM

Were do you hunt in Ok, public land?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Spike

public land most of the time .lexington for some, atoka for deer and turkey next year. the south east is good for big game .out west is great for quail .there are some others that are small that nobody goes to much i would have to check the maps to find them again
Old 11-14-2005, 06:40 AM

Nimrod. . welcome to the great state of Texas. . . .You will find little or no public hunting in this state. I am sure some folks on this sight will dispute that but as an estimate 95% of the land in this state is privately owned. So, your gonna be an Aggie, to bad, hook em horns!!!!!

Next you will live near College station, let's call that South east Texas sort of, big state. You get Deer, and Hogs. Find a local guy at school who knows folks and that should get you set up for a lease. You may get to pay between 1 and 2 K$ a year to have a piece of land to hunt. If your a starving student then you may have to get more creative and find some old farmer who hates Hog tearing up his land and help him remove them.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the advice Georgetown, 2K isn’t that bad for a lease but it is high for me especially with out of state tuition, might have to go the starving student rout. Hogs are fun they keep me going between deer seasons.
Only going to be an Aggie because they offer a great Range Management Degree + I can get a minor in Wildlife Management.

Thanks again,
Nimrod

Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 PM

Hey Nimrod I sent you a PM cause im gonna be going to A&M next year also, and wanna hook up with some people that hunt. Send me a message back
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 PM

typically I wouldn't offer any info. to an agggy, but I will offer you this small bit of help: When you get situated find out where your local TPW (Texas parks and wildlife) office is and go down and speak with someone about public land hunting. From College Station you are only about 2-3 hours from Sam Houston national forest and it can be hunted if yousign up for it (for a small fee)- by doing this you will also be able to hunt several other "state owned lands." As it was mentioned above, the portions of land hunted here in the state of Texas are mostly privatly owned, but if you are going toaTm, trust me, you will not have much trouble finding resources for hunting property. Growing up, We hunted on 5k acres Throckmorton, Txand a 1/3 of it was for research purposes for aTm.

BTW, Doesn't Florida have anaTm?

Good luck! andwelcome to Texas.

Also, we're gonna kicky'all ass next friday

HOOK 'EM 'HORNS
Old 11-16-2005, 09:01 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

There is some public land around here to hunt. I live in Bryan, sister city to CS. Sommerville WMA allows bowhunting for hogs and deer. There are a lot of deer around the lake and it doesn't geta lot of pressure. There are a ton of hogs there and it shouldn't be much trouble to get one. You can hunt around here without a lease, just knock on doors and ask, a lot of folks don't mind if you bowhunt, esp. the hogs. They may say no on deer but most will allow you to shoot the hogs. I'm a veterinarian at A&M and several of my co-workers own small places and let me bowhunt. Through instructors and other students you should be able to finda place to go.