KY bow hunting with daughter >

KY bow hunting with daughter

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

KY bow hunting with daughter

Old 08-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KY bow hunting with daughter

Hi guys. This will be my 2nd season hunting. I live in WV near the KY border. My 13 year old daughter and I would like to try some bow hunting this year. In WV we have to wait for October 15 but in KY we can start Sept 3rd. We hunted by gun last year in WV (Beech Fork WMA) and this will be our first bow season. We have been practicing pretty hard and we are both excited.
I'm looking for a WMA or other public land near northeast KYthat we can give a try. We regularly go boating on Yatesville lake and I know you can hunt there but i'm not sure if the hunting is any good. Any WMA suggestions? We're not trophy hunters so i'm just looking for a place that we can go out spend some quality days together and get a good chance at putting our practice to use.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KY bow hunting with daughter

i also will be bowhunting in ky hopefully the openning weekend. i'm sorry to say that i don't know much about the public land or wma's in the eastern part. i hunt in the western part on private land. but if the eastern part is as covered up with deer as the west is you should definately get a chance at some deer. that's great that you're getting you're daughter out and getting her interested in hunting.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking at the KY regs and noticed that in Region 1 you can take an unlimited amount of deer. WOW! That's not the northeast where I will be but there must be tons of deer there
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

I was looking at the KY regs and noticed that in Region 1 you can take an unlimited amount of deer. WOW! That's not the northeast where I will be but there must be tons of deer there
yeah i hunt in zone 1 and that's how it is. you're still limited to one buck and have to buy the additional doe tags. there are definately a ton of deer around. it's nothing to see 30-40 deer in one field.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Typical Buck

Danny, how far are you willing to travel? I live in central ky and there's severalgood WMA's around Lexington with many of them being "bowhunting only" with several of them being in zone 1. That may be too far to drive for ya, but just thought I'd put the bug in your ear. Good hunting and kudos for getting your daughter into hunting.

Carter
Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

TC,
My daughter and I travel to lexington for her soccer tournaments sometimes and we would travel there for hunting. It's only 2 hours from Huntington.
Any good info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Ok Danny. I'd first go to theKy DNR website and click on WMA's. The three that come to mind are Kleeber, Rich and Central Ky WMA. All are bowhunting only and are within 30 minutes drive from Lexington. I've hunted all three and have seen some very nice bucks taken from each. Keep in mind, Rich and Kleeber has some "youth hunts" that allows the use of guns, so check out the site to see when those are being held. If you decide to hunt the Central Ky WMA, let me know, I live about five minutes from there and I just may join ya. If you need any more info that the site don't offer, just let me know and I'll do my best to help you out. my email addy is [email protected]
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

TC Thanks,
I will most likely get out to that area. I am trying Yatesville this weekend since I went and scouted on Sunday. I'll get on the DNR website and look up the WMA's you mentioned. If i plan on going to Central WMA I'll certainly drop ya a note. I look forward to getting out there
Old 08-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Spike

What about Fish Trap Dam in Pike Co. KY. I have family that hunts the WMA there. I have never personally hunted it, and I'm not sure of the regs, but I have heard tell of some nice ones there.