Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Want to get daughter into hunting. What age / caliber? >

Want to get daughter into hunting. What age / caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Want to get daughter into hunting. What age / caliber?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Want to get daughter into hunting. What age / caliber?

I want to get my daughter into shooting and hunting ASAP. She's 4 right now and will be 5 in July. Too young right now to shoot anything but she will be old enough soon enough. I want to get her into deer hunting. At what age should I start her shooting and what would be a good caliber. I want something that she will be able to handle and take deer at the same time. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Want to get daughter into hunting. What age / caliber?

I started my daughter at 6 with a .22 then my .17 Remington now she is 10 and has taken 3 nice bucks and absolutely loves deer hunting she hunts with a Ruger compact in 243 with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 scope the rifle fits her perfect. so i say get them shooting as soon as you and them are comfortable with it. The one thing I teach more than anything is SAFE handeling of firearms once they understand that the rest is easy. good luck and I hope this helps chad
Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start her out with the .22, and let her graduate to the .243. My daughter was shooting the .22 (with strict supervision) when she was 2......I don't think you can start them too young.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input fellas! I was planning to get her a .22 next X-Mas. That should get her started and give me a chance to instill firearm safety into her.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not the age that's the deciding factor but rather her having a full understanding of the whole thing. It's the maturity level that should dictate when she's ready. Face it, there's grown adults that simply shouldn't be shooting. It's not an age issue.
When it is time, start her with a .22lr . Inexpensive to shoot, low report and accuate enough to give confidence to a new shooter. That's a biggie too - keeping thier confidence level up. Need to be encouraging and the little one to be shooting well enough so that she doesn't lose interest. Don't force the issue as that'll make them dislike it more. If she doesn't want to shoot, that's HER choice.
My son (he-s 7) had his first session last summer when he was 6. He'd been to the range with me and had a basic understanding of the hows and whats. Let him watch and asked if he wanted to try, Siad yes so took the time to demonstrtae and show him how to hold, sight and what not. He loved it but as kids are, was soon off to other things. If he chooses to go again, that's fine and completely up to him. Not gonna force him.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

start her out at a .222 then i think about 6 you should get her 223 or 243 to deer hunt with