Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Bowhunters, have you heard this?!?! >

VA Bowhunters, have you heard this?!?!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Bowhunters, have you heard this?!?!

Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default VA Bowhunters, have you heard this?!?!

I heard this from a buddy of mine and couldn't believe it.... Honest, I had no clue about VA's new House Bill (2741) that bans shooting a compound bow in your backyard. Give me a freakin' break!!! [:@]

Click here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=HB2741

This bill was back in March of 2005 and Governor Warner signed it, approved it, and it will go into law, effective 1 Jul 2005.

The stipulation is that if you have 5 acres or more and are zoned as agricultural, then, you're fine.... You can do what you want. All of us who have suburban homes, effective July 1st, can no longer practice archery in our backyards! [:@]

What's next?!?!? Banning the practice of chipping golf balls in a backyard?!?! [:@][:@][:@]

Butch A.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: VA Bowhunters, have you heard this?!?!

Well, son of a....

I thought this died in committee!!! Man, that really ticks me off.

Although you should note that the 5 acre minimum applies to firearms. It's 2 acres for bows.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

True... Sorry 'bout that.... I should have stated that at first, but was too P.O'd at the time.... [:@]

Minimum 5 ACRES, zoned as "Agricultural", you can shoot firearms/bows/etc...
Minimum 2 ACRES, zoned as "Agricultural", you can only shoot a bow.

All others under the minimum 2 ACRES.... You can't do squat anymore.... [:@]

Butch A.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Sucks that its becoming state law but doesnt really matter to me because there's already a city ordinance against it here. Has been that way for years. Fortunately most of the officers here look the other way if you have a good back stop set up and make an intelligent attempt at safety.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:06 PM

You are not that far off when you say golf balls are next. My father told me a long time ago about a guy who told a fisherman who wasn't to keen on supporting all sportsman, that when they're done with our bows and guns, they'll be there to take your fishing poles and it was true. A group was formed by celebrity types call People Against Aquatic Agony. Believe me, we must all stick together. Hunters, fisherman and maybe even the golfers too! It doesn't end.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

they can kma. noone will tell me what I can and cannot do on my own property...then again I am in the five arce agricultural part. so, what if you have land that you are hunting that is that small? here in winchester, they are having a controlled bowhunt in september, on parcels three acres and larger, and I know guys that rifle hunt property that small.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hoyt3
they can kma. noone will tell me what I can and cannot do on my own property...
My sentiments exactly!!! [:@]

My neighbors don't mind hearing a "thwack!" sound from my backyard. What is the big deal?!?! I am wondering how many suburban bowhunters will blow this off and continue keep on, keepin' on... I KNOW I WILL!!!!

Butch A.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Yea Butch but maybe you are a good shot. I was over at a guys house a fews years ago watching the super bowl and at half time he wanted to show us his skills and his first shot was off and the arrow deflected off the target and went 2 houses down into another persons back yard???? I can understand it in some places, I think we are fortunate to live in a state that protects our Hunting and Fishing Heritage as much as Virginia does so I guess I could bend a little. Up here in No. Va. it is tight in some places.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is my understanding the bill does not automatically prohibit shooting a bow, it just gives each county the authority to prohibit shooting where it deems it necessary. Here is the copy and paste from the link ButchA posted with a key paragraph in bold:

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That § 15.2-1209 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§ 15.2-1209. Prohibiting outdoor shooting of firearms or arrows from bows in certain areas.
Any county may prohibit the outdoor shooting of firearms or arrows from bows in any areas of the county which are in the opinion of the governing body so heavily populated as to make such conduct dangerous to the inhabitants thereof.
For purposes of this section, "bow" includes all compound bows, crossbows, longbows and recurve bows having a peak draw weight of 10 pounds or more. The term "bow" does not include bows that have a peak draw of less than 10 pounds or that are designed or intended to be used principally as toys. The term "arrow" means a shaft-like projectile intended to be shot from a bow.
Any county that prohibits the firing outdoor shooting of firearms or arrows from bows shall provide an exemption for the killing of deer pursuant to § 29.1-529. Such exemption for the shooting of firearms shall apply on land of at least five acres that is zoned for agricultural use. Such exemption for the shooting of arrows from bows shall apply on land of at least two acres that is zoned for agricultural use.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:20 AM

Makes since, where I was speaking of it seems the houses are stacked on each other. Butch i hope my last posting wasn't offensive.

Quick Reply: VA Bowhunters, have you heard this?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.