Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

which call

Old 01-23-2005, 10:52 AM

Default which call

hey guys, i need a new coyote call for western pennsylvania. right now all i have is a quaker boy cottontail screamer and i havent gotten anything to come in. any recommendations would really be appreciated. thank you
Old 01-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: which call

Rabbit calls are probably the most widely used predator calls. How long you been using it? Also, describe your setup a little more for us, if you can.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 PM

well i live somewhat in the middle of nowhere. we have 21 acres and where ive been trying to hunt is along 2 streams right on the edge of a farmfield. ive had the call a month and probably have been out 5 or 6 times. ive been using my groundhog gun which is a .223 remington model 70 winchester. its a classic short action (no longer made) with a 6-18 bushnell banner. ive been shooting hand loaded 50 grain v-max at 3200. i dont really know a whole lot about the whole predator hunting thing but i figured id give it a try. apprarently a lot harder than i thought. if i left out any information sorry let me know and ill answer for you. is there any company that has the best calls. i was looking at knight and hale ultimate predator call (i think its called that). or primos raspy coaxer. if u guys have ANY calls that u like or have worked for u please tell me. thank you.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dukebh40

well i live somewhat in the middle of nowhere. we have 21 acres and where ive been trying to hunt is along 2 streams right on the edge of a farmfield. ive had the call a month and probably have been out 5 or 6 times. ive been using my groundhog gun which is a .223 remington model 70 winchester. its a classic short action (no longer made) with a 6-18 bushnell banner. ive been shooting hand loaded 50 grain v-max at 3200. i dont really know a whole lot about the whole predator hunting thing but i figured id give it a try. apprarently a lot harder than i thought. if i left out any information sorry let me know and ill answer for you. is there any company that has the best calls. i was looking at knight and hale ultimate predator call (i think its called that). or primos raspy coaxer. if u guys have ANY calls that u like or have worked for u please tell me. thank you.

I use a .223 with handloaded V-Max ammo. I started out predator hunting when my grandmother found two of my great grandpa's old wooden calls (still in box) cleaning out some old drawers. I used them until I realized they were antiques, then I bought some other calls. I've got a couple rabbit calls, a woodpecker, two howlers, and a few coaxers. One, the Circe 3-in-1, has a jackrabbit, cottontail, and coaxer. It's probably my favorite. I also like my Primos howler. I usually carry both of those calls with me. I've got two knight and hale calls, but I have never use them. They sound terrible. As for your setup, 21 acres pretty much limits your calling opportunities. Calling in one spot will cover the others. Also, it took me about 20 times (or at least it seemed like it) to call in my first coyote. So don't get dissappointed when you come home empty handed. Coyotes are much more difficult to hunt than deer. Most coyotes will circle downwind before approaching. So when you pick a spot, pick one where you can see them coming from the downwind side. And the farther you can see, the better. I usually direct my calling downwind, anyway, because the sound will carry a little better. I blow on my call a few times, using my fingers to make it sound a little more like a struggling rabbit, then I wait 5 or 10 minutes and call again. I keep it up for at least 30 minutes. And the first thing I learned when I did call up a coyote - BE READY TO SHOOT AT ALL TIMES! Missed the first one because he came in hard and fast in less than 2 minutes after I started calling.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM

Check out this website. Open-reed Howlers are more versital callers, allowing coyote communications as well as prey distress calls and they don't freeze-up like closed-reed callers.
http://www.callingcoyotes.com/
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Digital Calls work well too! Extreme Dimensions makes a very good one as well as Stewart.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Keep trying. I was at the opposite end of the spectrum. I just got into it this year and went out the second time and called one in on the first set up! Like Texan said, be ready at all times! This one came in after about 3 minutes and from the opposite direction I thought they would come from. It sort of took me by surprise. I forced a shot and missed. Now im hooked! have been going every chance I get!

I have been using the Sceery rodent distress and cottontail distress calls. I have more calls ordered but have not gotten them yet.

I also have not had any action this past week. Real cold and snow up here but im still trying!

MIKE