Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot size for yotes?

Old 01-21-2005, 04:27 PM

Default RE: Shot size for yotes?

I hunt them with my 243 deer rifle.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:18 PM

The Tasco scope works great and I expect it will do this for years to come. I have owned more than 20 Tasco scopes in my lifetime and never a fault with any of them, none of them faulted but moved on with the guns. I have used them on everything from pellet guns to 3006 and liked all of them just fine. A good scope for the money.

Greg
Old 01-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may be right Highdesertwolf, as far as short range work goes. But we all know, as you have pointed out, that steel looses it's down range effect quick because of the lack of density. I was wondering how many pellets are in a typical 3" steel BB, BBB, T, and F shell? Any idea!! I know that a 3" 4 buck has 41 pellets. The reason I am wondering is if there are fewer pellets in a 3" steel compared to the 4 buck, would there really be a noticable difference in effective pattern.
By the way, I went looking for the number of pellets in the steel shells, and happen to find that if you go to Remington web page they have a close out on 3" steel shells in the 2, BB, and BBB with max. dram., 1 1/4oz. load, rated at 1425fps priced at $7.15 a box. Sounds like a good deal. These are Estate Cartridges!
a typical 12ga. 3 inch shell with T's has approx. 62 pellets I couldnt tell you for the smaller size shot. And I have never seen F in a 3 inch shell only in 3.5 inch 12 and 10 ga. shells but if I had to guess id say around 40 to 45 pellets in a 3 inch shell, F shot is just a hair smaller then #4 buck. asfar as pattern there might be a noticeable difference in shot string density, would also depend on the choke and range. as for the deal on shells thats not half bad gonna check it out.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Tasco scope works great and I expect it will do this for years to come. I have owned more than 20 Tasco scopes in my lifetime and never a fault with any of them, none of them faulted but moved on with the guns. I have used them on everything from pellet guns to 3006 and liked all of them just fine. A good scope for the money.

Greg
i bought a 4x32mm pronghorn for my pellet gun and after awhile the cross hairs must have come loose and fell out of view I returned the scope and the same thing happened after awhile with the next one.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

HighDesertWolf
There is a differance in how a rifle scope and a air rifle scope are made.

In a rifle scope the cross hairs are braced from the front ,because the recoil pushes the scope back and the cross hairs want to stay still try to go forward.

In a air rifle or crossbow scope the cross hairs are braced from the back or from both sides . Because a air rifle (most brake barrel single cock) recoil away from your shoulder.
stressing the crosshair in a way that the scope was not designed for.

I saw a new Leupold Var. XIII that failed after 1 day of use on a RWS air rifle .

So if the scope fails on a air rifle and it is a rifle scope DO NOT BLAME THE SCOPE ,blame the guy that put the wrong scope on the air rifle in the first place !!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Air rifles require air rifles scopes as stated above. Most all of the major scope manufacturuers build versions specifically for that purpose. It is not just hype, it is a fact.

Greg