Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

otter trapping

Old 01-14-2005, 08:35 AM

Default otter trapping

i have trapped alot in my life but i have never tried to catch a otter and it seems like we have several here and i have permission to trap a small creek but i dont no how to trap them could anyone give me some tips and please not alot of BS .. i am am serious
Old 01-14-2005, 08:46 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: otter trapping

I have never trapped any but have read a little about it. Are there any beaver dams in the creek? If there are otters will use the crossover on them and a 330 conibear on the downstream side of the dam at the bottom of the crossover is supposed to be a good set. You can also make dirtholes along the creek with a bedded 1 1/2 coilspring trap baited with fish. Good luck keeping the coons out of that though.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:56 AM

I have caught otters before with the method that mez explains a bit. Find an acitve beaver dam and locate the slide on the dam. Set a 330 at the BOTTOM of the dam, right where the dam levels off to meet the water. Set the trap upside down (with the trigger pointing up). The water will run over the trap and conceal the trigger, should be maybe an inch or less of the trigger visible above the water. The otter slides down the dam and the trigger nails em on the chin, no way to avoid it. Make sure you have a strong anchor because those buggers are amazingly strong. Also use new, strong traps, they are so fast that they can weezle out the back end of a weak trap. good luck
Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 AM

you have to find a place where they are traveling along the edges or in the middle and set a conabaer where they are running..
Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live on a small inland lake and the otters love to swim/eat/play where a small creek runs into the lake... It seems like the perfect spot for a set and I tried last year but he got out of my trap without a bruise... They are hard to rap but just an idea??