Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bobcat ???'s

Old 12-13-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Bobcat ???'s

I need a little advice on bobcat hunting. The season opens on the 20th here in Mass, and I want to give it a try. Earlier this year while grouse hunting my Setter jumped a big bob. The area was along a small stream that was choked with brush, and dammed up by beavers. It was a little late in the day, but the cover he jumed from was so thick I think we might have caught him in his den, or bed,or where ever they sleep.

I was thinking I would set up up hill of where I saw him on the edge of the mature woods and try using a distress call of some kind. Do you think this might work? If so, what is your recommended call?

I am also struggling with weapon selection. I am considering using my 30-06. I know this is rather large for bobs, but my only other alternatives are 50cal ML, shotgun, or bow. What do you think?

There are coyotes in this area too, so I believe there is a good chance of getting into something. The set up I have in mind, like I said puts me about 60-70 yards up hill from the stream. I'd be sitting right on the edge of the mature hardwoods, with a road 100-150 yrds behind me. The cover along the stream is pretty dense, and I think anything that would try to make a stalk would stay in that, and follow the stream.

Anyway, your opinions, I'm sure will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Bobcat ???'s

personally, I would still hunt using decoys and calls. I do not hunt with dogs, but I may want to try it someday. Coyotes are easier to draw out with calls, but bobcats respond too. Bobcats will stalk carefully and will keep a close eye out for danger so a decoy will be a must for them. Try using a squirrel skin stuffed with cotton, works for me. Tie a small cord or fishing line to it and give it a tug when you think you see a target regardless what species. It will see the decoy assuming it is a real injured squirrel and it will trigger an impulse to just go get it. Just remember, squirrel decoy, squirrel distress call or mouse distress. Don't try using a squirrel decoy with a fawn distress call. Mouse sqeaukers/squirrel distress work better on bobcats and fox in my opinion. Coyotes tend to like rabbits and fawns.
Hope this helps some
Old 12-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

A bird dissterss is very good for cats. Use you shotgun will be way better on the hide. Ever traper out there will tell you to hang a brid wing high but in good sight spot.It normal takes 30 mins to 1 hour for a cat to come in.they will come in very low and quite.I do my best calling out of a tree for cats they are very good at geting way close befor you ever see them.

good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 PM

Use the shotgun for the bobkitties, and hunt in the thick to let them get right up in your face. They respond very well to a yellow hammered woodpecker distress call. Most times they are real slow to come in to the call so give them a half hours worth of sitting. There are times when they will show up within a minute, but this is not the norm. They are sneaky things and be on careful lookout for them as they are almost ghosts. One minute there is nothing and then you look and one is sitting 10 yards away from you.

Greg