Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Black Coyote!!

Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Black Coyote!!

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a black coyote. A buddy of mine trapped one a week or so ago. It is kind of the opposite of albino; melanous I believe is the term. It is identical to any other coyote but this one was black with a small white patch on its chest. Kind of like a black bear. It is really cool looking. Sorry the pics are polariods so I can't post em.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Default RE: Black Coyote!!

seen a black fox while out lamping. couldn't pick it out the shape at first as it was dark.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ive shot black gophers at my cousins farm. they stick out like sore thumbs in a nice green field.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

About a year ago a few members posted about this and a couple of photo's went around. What a cool looking critter! I got this black fox a year ago while out tromping around. I wanted to get a full body mount of him, but the .243 took a decent size chunk out of his neck. He'll look good hanging on the wall though.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:43 AM

Wow that is an awesome fox!!

It would have made a cool mount.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

yes i have seen black coyotes while i was snowmobiling and it was still in season and i didnt have my firearm with me so i went back to gety my firearm and he was gone....... what a pretty animal it was i also saw a pure blond and a red coyote here in ny
Old 12-10-2004, 06:04 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

That "black" fox is realy callled a silver fox. AND IS QUITE AWESOME I'D SAY!!! A true mounter, I'd say! Good deal
Old 12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

DJBAD,

Where is Medford located?

Just curious

BHW
Old 12-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bhw

That "black" fox is realy callled a silver fox. AND IS QUITE AWESOME I'D SAY!!! A true mounter, I'd say! Good deal
Not quite. Mammologists refer to that color phase as the "cross" fox. Fur industry lingo is a bit different.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are 4 classified phases of the red fox. The main one is red, then cross, then silver, then black. This guy is nearly all black as a silver fox has silver guard hairs from head to tail, and this guy only has them on his rump. Silver fox are more prominent up north, but still average less than 2% of the local population. Black fox are even more rare.

Silver fox are very common in the fur industry, several farms strictly grow silver fox, and you will see silver fox fur coats all over the place. Do a search on google or ebay for silver fox and you will be surprises. most all black fox fur garments are dyed fox as there are not enough in the wild to supply the demand.

Quick Reply: Black Coyote!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.