Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 i was wondering if I made the right choice? >

i was wondering if I made the right choice?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

i was wondering if I made the right choice?

Old 11-11-2004, 05:52 PM

Default i was wondering if I made the right choice?

As some of u know ive been saying that i was thinking about getting a 17 hmr for coyotes but after doing the research and listening to ur alls oppinions i have decide to get a new england 223 single shot in ur alls oppinion have I made a good choice and im only hunting coyotes with this gun plz reply ~!!~Hunting Is My Life~!!~
Old 11-11-2004, 06:21 PM

Default RE: i was wondering if I made the right choice?

yea it will make a good yote gun. make sure to use the right ammo though. and NEVER use fmj shells on animals! i like the 50 gr blizkings for the 223. tons of good ammo out there. match one to your gun/land your hunting and your going to have some fun

just a question have you ever hunted coyotes before?? if you haven't i can try to help you out a little and show you some good info and places to go to find out what you need to know just drop me an email at [email protected]

good luck!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Spike

Good choice, I shoot 50 gr rem php's or 52 gr speer hp's out of my .223. I had an H&R single shot in 22 hornet, it was accurate but the trigger pull was real heavy.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:42 AM

I have a .223 N.E.F. For the money, it can't be beat. It's light weight for carrying if you have a long walk. The only bug is the ejector. You have to take care when loading. If the shell doen't catch on the ejector, it will stick in the chamber after firing.
I called up and shot a double last year with mine. The coyotes were only about 30 yards away. After the first one hit the ground, the second couldn't figure out where the shot came from. I had time to reload and get the second one too.
On another occasion, I only winged a coyote and had to come back with a second shot after he had covered 250 yards. You can see this one and the rifle if you go to northmosportsmen.com/hunting/predator
These guys know me as LarryMac.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Winchester 45 grain hollow points shoot really well in the NEF's. I buy them at Gander Mountain for $11.99 for a box of 40. Should be perfect ammo for 'yote...not that I would know...see my thread about my cancelled 'yote hunt.[:@]
Old 11-13-2004, 02:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent! (My Mr. Burns impersonation)

With a little target practice, those yotes won't know what hit'em. Any bullet that has decent expansion will drop them graveyard dead, even if the shot is a little off.