Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Predator and racoon hunting

Old 11-02-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Predator and racoon hunting

I've never hunted coyotes, fox, or coons just trapped them. I think it would be alot of fun to hunt these animals but i have no idea where to begine. Can anyone give me the basics to hunting these animals? I live on a farm in iowa, alot of crop land not much timber, creeks running through quite a bit of it.

I have a .22, thats all the gun i need isn't it?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Predator and racoon hunting

Where do want to start. Because they're electronic calls you can use, or mouth blown calls. Can you hunt at night in Iowa? If you can, then you're going to need some kind of lights. Your going to need to camo yourself. The most important part to camo will be your face and hands. Always hunt facing into the wind. You need to break up your outline when hunting. So find a spot where you can sit with your back to. Don't do alot of moving around, especially your hands and head. Predators will pick up your movement and and head for the next county. Go to www.predatormasters.com and read through the forums there. A lot of your questions will be answered there. Good luck to ya.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:00 PM

Default RE: Predator and racoon hunting

I love coon hunting!!!!!!!!! It might help if you have a coon hound. the .22 will work just fine on coon, that's what I use. for coyotes I use my 243 deer rifle. the one big difference between trapping and hunting coon is the dog(s). with traps when the season is over you just hang them back up in the shed until next year. with dogs you need to feed and water them, vet visits, ect. you spending alot of money on them dogs but they are fun to hunt with.!!!!