Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting fox at night......

Old 10-16-2004, 11:28 PM

Default Hunting fox at night......

Here's the problem, fellas. Here in PA we can not affix any type of light to our gun to hunt at night. When I call at night, I mainly use my Remington 870 Super Mag. In order for me to see the bead at the end of the barrel, I would tape a small mini-maglight (with red lens) to the barrel and that would illuminate the bead. I would then be able to see the bead at the end of the gun and sighting was no problem. Now that I can't do that, how am I going to see the bead and be able to shoot accurately? I usually call with a partner and they work the light and call and I shoot, or vice versa. If we have those eyes lit up at 30 yards and I pull up to shoot, how am I going to be accurate when I can't see the bead of the shotgun to put it on the eyes? What can I use? How do I do this? I know this sounds like a stupid thing, but help!! Thanks!!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Hunting fox at night......

ttt
Old 10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Typical Buck

What about one of those mining lights you wear on your head? Would that work?....Just a thought....Jim
Old 10-19-2004, 07:56 PM

Definitely a thought JJ. Thanks!!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:17 PM

When your buddy shines the light, he could sit beside you so that the very edge of the spotlight hits the end of your shotgun. That's how my friend and I always did it and there was never a need for an extra light. Having another light to mess with just seems like one more thing to worry about if you ask me.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:55 AM

Nunk,
I have had good luck with Fox at night by holding a 3 or 4 cell Mag light under the fore arm. I'm kind of cheep but it allows me to look around with the light and then make the shot. I don't have any problem seeing the front site. My snow camo is cheep as well. I just turn a set of jogging pants and sweat shirt inside-out. The light gray ones are white on the inside. I used a head lamp a long time ago and had problems with it pointing to the left when I tried to shoot. Where you at In Pa.?
Tim
Old 10-20-2004, 09:59 AM

Oops, when I re-read my post I realised that the head lamp would point to my other left, the one on my right side! Apparently when I site down the barrel my head is not pointing straight down the barrel. I suppose If the light were offset a bit it would be ok.
Tim
Old 10-20-2004, 10:44 AM

How about a laser pointer . . . .I put one on a .22 for shooting Armadillos at night, cheap too. They tear up the yard. So now I use the red light in one hand to find em then just get the dot on em and he's done. Works really well.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:57 AM

JimboHunter has got the right idea, if you stand side by side you should be able to see most of the barrel. What power lamp are you using?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Jimbo - makes perfect sense. I'll have to try to stay closer.

CT - NE PA, close to Bloomsburg. That's a thought too, thanks.

Geo - not sure I know what you're talking about. Help!!

Shotgun - 100 yd Optronics Light with red lens (it's the one you would normally attach to your scope, we don't, illegal, so we hold it)

Thanks guys!!

Quick Reply: Hunting fox at night......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.