Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

CCI .22 CB for Groundhogs

Old 09-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default CCI .22 CB for Groundhogs

What do you guys think of the .22 CB for use on groundhogs? I've taken some with .22LR 40 gr. HP's before, but I need something quieter than that. My mom has a few 'hogs eating up her garden, but there are houses on both sides of hers. I might use Aguila SSS 60 gr. ammo, but I don't want to take the risk of overpenetrating since it's a residential area.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: CCI .22 CB for Groundhogs

Heres something to try,

Its real quiet.
[link]

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...K4U9JHL4FGAG12[/link]

Old 09-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heres something to try,

Its real quiet.
Have you used these on groundhogs? I can't imagine that doing much damage, and certainly not more than the CB's.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tryed cb's on a chuck in a live trap . First shot in the head from 2' just dazed it , 2 shots in the chest took 5 min to kill it . Find an other load ! I use Win power point 22 lr from a up stairs window on house yard chucks.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tryed cb's on a chuck in a live trap . First shot in the head from 2' just dazed it , 2 shots in the chest took 5 min to kill it . Find an other load ! I use Win power point 22 lr from a up stairs window on house yard chucks.
I'm going to use the Aguila SSS rounds from upstairs. My cousin swears by them, and I watched him turn a 'hog off like a light with a round in one ear and out the other. The way my mom's house and garden are laid out, it'll be about a 45° angle from the window to the groundhog at around 20 or 25 yards. Even if it does overpenetrate, it'll hit soft ground.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put baby bottle nipple over the end of your .22 and fasten it nice and tight with a hose clamp and shoot full power 22 LR. that will quiet down a 22 LR a ton as the bullet passes through the nipple the hole created closes up fast enough to trap the gases.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah you really have to be at close range to do anything with CB's, they are really quiet but they dont have much backbone to them. I would probably go with something else.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took care of him Sunday afternoon. I placed some rotten strawberries in the middle of the yard and waited. He came out about half an hour later and started making his way over to the fruit when I hit him just behind the shoulder with a SSS round. He went still for a moment, but then he started rolling back and forth. I hit him again just behind the ear (was aiming for the ear, but he moved at the last second), and he was dead by the time I got outside.

I didn't weigh him, but he must've been close to 12 or 13 lbs. He was the biggest that my mom's seen, but I'm going to take care of two smaller ones that are also tearing up her garden and foundation. All in all, those Aguila SSS's did pretty well and with little report.