Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Your personal best???

Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Default RE: Your personal best???

20 Ga Slug in the heart of an 8 point Buck, at 100 yards
Old 06-01-2004, 06:31 PM

headshot (at least I think so, it was a bit missing when I picked it up) on a hair, 7.62 x 39 Valmet, iron sights, 200 to 250 yards, clear day. shooting position: rifle rested on a backpack, laying down. I was 9 then and actually not hunting but practising....the hair just got into my sights.... my first kill with a rifle btw. I still have the skin.

Kind regards,

Vesi
Old 06-16-2004, 01:09 PM

gun.ruger 10/22 3x9 scope
ammo.cci stinger

I was out in the country and was shooting prarie dogs and my scope kept getting more off every shot i took and i noticed that the rings were loose so I headed home and decided to take a crazy shot at one at about 125yds(paced it off) away,I knew the scope was down and to the left so I aimed up and a little to the right and shot.I killed with a body shot.

,shootr
Old 06-18-2004, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

60-70 yard headshot on a treerat. Ruger 10/22 cci mini mags.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:31 AM

ABOUT 35 YRS AGO I HUNTED WITH AN ELDERLY[89]GENT NAMED FRANK.IN MID NOV. I WAS TO MEET HIM EVERYDAY @ 09:30 HR FOR COFFEE AT A CERTAIN SPOT.IF HE WASN'T THERE I WAS TO LOOK FOR HIM TO EITHER HELP WITH HIS DEER OR RETRIEVE HIS CARCASS![X(]ONE DAY WHILE HAVING A CUP,A SMALL BUCK CAME RUNNING AT A SPEED SOMEWHERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF FAST. MY NEW BROWNING BOLT OLYMPIAN.338 MAG WAS LEANING ON FRANK'S CAR.AS THE DEER RAN INTO THE LAST 50 FT OF BUSH B4 IT REACHED THE FENCE, I GRABBED MY RIFLE AS FRANK SAID,"QUICK BOY! QUICK!" I GOT THE GUN UP & FIRED AS THE BUCK CLEARED THE FENCE.WE HEARD A HOLLOW SMACK & THE DEER WENT HEAD OVER HEELS INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. AS I GAVE FRANK MY ARM & WE STARTED DOWN THE ROAD.HE SAID SONNY, THAT WAS THE BEST DAM SHOT I'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF! I SAID "FRANK, I'VE SEEN YOU HIT A 5 GAL. PAIL AT 200 YD. OFFHAND,LAST YEAR & I WOULD SAY THAT'S COMPARABLE AS THAT LITTLE BUCK CAN'T BE MORE THAN 70 YD". HE TUGGED ON MY SLEEVE, AND THAT'S WHEN I NOTICED THE TEARS OF LAUGHTER RUNNING DOWN HIS CHEEKS."MAYBE SO JONNY, BUT I TOOK MY SCOPE COVERS OFF FIRST!"HE HUNTED UNTIL THEY TOOK HIS DRIVER'S LICENCE AWAY AFTER A GIRL SAID THE REASON SHE SLID INTO THE DITCH WAS BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO HIT HER![:'(]HE DIED THAT SPRING AT THE AGE OF 96.I THINK OF HIM QUITE OFTEN.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:07 PM

Mine was about 8 years ago, when I lived close to a buddy who had permission to hunt several farms for ground hogs. On a bright, sunny Sunday morning around 11:00 a.m., we found out that most of the "woodchucks" were in the ground, getting a little shade for the day. There were about eight crows feeing in a field, and leaning on the truck, I fired a shot at one that was in the field. With my 6MM, I aimed so that there was daylight between the crosshairs and the crow's back. We stepped it off at 240 yards... []
Old 06-20-2004, 02:08 AM

Gday. You all have good stories on long shots. My best was a roo at 230 paces with a .223 winchester f'weight in the arvo.[:-]
Old 06-20-2004, 04:01 AM

coyote ; 243 Rem. carbine ; 80 gr. PSP ; solid rest ; 440 yards.

when I fired , the wife said "YOU HIT HIM" []!!!!! I told her thats what I was trying to do.[&:]
I wasn't just shooting to be shooting."it really surprised me also though.[]

I took another one at 320 yards with same gun and ammo with good rest.that one was trying to get a calf that had just been born.
when I shot I could see the yote and the cow and calf in the scope all at the same time.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few personal best to start I killed a button buck with one shot at 375+ yards with a 150 grain PSP remington express core lokt with my trusty Rem m700 moutain rifle chambered in 308, I took the shot standing. I couldn't believe it I can't remember if I even aimed It was the last day of the season and i was pissed that it was the only deer I saw so i pointed the gun and pulled the trigger at it dropped. My other best was unexpected while dove hunting at the last second I saw a dove in the corner of my eye as I turned he was already atleast 60 yards away I fired off what I call F you shot and it fell dead to the earth. That was with some 3 inch mag steel #4's I had left over from duck season the year before, I was dove hunting on a waterfowl refuge and that was the only steel shot I had. Another personal best was a coyote I shot at 200+ yards with open sights with my cva muzzle loader. I was using a patched round ball with one 50 grain pyrodex pellet. when I retreieved the coyote I couldnt find an entrance or an exit wound except a patch of fur missing and a little blood on the top of his head the ball just bonked him on the head and knocked him out 20 minutes later the coyote came around and ran away. Another personal best of mine I shot a coyote on the run with a cci stinger 22 LR at about 70 yards the bullet went in one ear an exited out the side of his jaw. Another personal best I shot a snow goose at 120+ yards up in the air just winged him and fell like a brick to the ground the impact of hitting the ground broke its neck the shells I was using were Fiocchi 12 ga 3.5 inch T shot magnums with a velocity of 1520 fps.
Another personal best was with a compound bow I killed a squirrel at 35-40 yards I was using Rocket hammerhead mechanical broad heads just about cut the squirrel in half.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Just 2 months ago...247 yds (as per rangefinder) on a gopher with my .22WMR (Savage C/W harris bi-pod)using CCI "TNT's". First shot was 1" low, second shot on the nose (literally). My cousin and I now are trying to break that record every weekend we go out for the little critters. We have yet to even come close. JDinAB

Quick Reply: Your personal best???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.