Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

foxpro caller question

Old 02-05-2004, 03:40 AM

Default foxpro caller question

i just recieved my new foxpro caller and am new to calling , does anybody have advice on what sound to set it at , i will be after coyotes in n.y. i just want to use the most effective setting with out experimenting this year , as the season is getting short!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 AM

Default RE: foxpro caller question

You may want to use the sound that is most the prevelent prey species in your area. However i don't think it really matters to much what sound you use. Coyotes are by nature curious animals and will respond to most sounds. I have used elk bugles and cow elk yelps out here in the middle of the desert and have had them respond to them. Think you main concern should be cover and scent. I also have a Foxpro and during the course of one week killed 15 coyotes, 1 fox and 1 bobcat, also called in 7 javelina. Good luck to ya.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM

thanks coyote john . since my last post ive used it twice, with only the cotton tail in distress. i saw nothing . i was in camo at ground level .calling into the wind , with no cover scent on . with a tree behind my back. i put the caller out about 70 feet away next to a rigor rabbit. and turned it up all the way. the caller i have is not the one with the remote ,so i cant switch it back and forth and cant control the volumn, should i keep it next to me , so i can control it ? how high should the volumn be? what about the decoy , if im using another sound like say , male coyote challenge or grey fox pup in distress should i put the decoy out? any input or info will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

mtair, I'd suggest putting the caller right beside you, since you don't have the remote, and control the volume. Start with a low volume for about the first 3-5 minutes and then turn it up about half for another 3-5 minutes and then you can try full volume for another 3-5 minutes. You may even pick it up and turn it so as to point the sound in a half circle from where you are sitting, kind of broadcasting the sound. If and when you see a predator coming, you can turn it off and just use a lip squeek to pull the predator into shooting lane/range. As far as the rigor rabbit goes, you can try to use it, but as far as I'm concerned, decoys help the situation very rarely, especially if they have no movement to them! Keep your movement to a minumum, be alert and ready. as they seem to "just show up" most of the time, about when your about to give up. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2004, 02:07 PM

I also would suggest you keep it near you. Start low for a few minutes then slowly raise the volume. If your in good coyote country you should get a sighting within 15+/- minutes or so. If you don't, move about a quarter of a mile down the road and try again. The only decoy that I use is a piece of rabbit fur dangling from a branch above my speaker. Hope this helps.