Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 anything different about hunting fox squirrles >

anything different about hunting fox squirrles

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

anything different about hunting fox squirrles

Old 01-22-2004, 07:15 PM

Default anything different about hunting fox squirrles

we are going to a place that has both gray and fox spuirrles. is there anything to do different for these fox squrls? i want one to mount, but do you pretty much hunt them the same way?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anything different about hunting fox squirrles

Click...I squirrel hunt a lot. Some in north central Ohio, (all fox squirrels) and some in West Virginia. (Mostly greys) In my experience, fox squirrels are more deliberate and more bound to trees. I've killed more greys on the ground by far than foxes. Fox squirrels are more of an edge species...they seem to like more open territory.

I've also found that greys sit still less. The biggest difference is the incredible THUD a gigantic fox squirrel will make when you shoot him out at 70'. LOL

I'm sure others have different opinions...but this has been my experience. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

around here we have both...and reds and blacks....in one oak stand i can find both grays and foxes....and have shot both....but foxes seem to hang more in the big oaks always feeding their fat selves...and they do seem to jump more limb to limb..and they seem to bark more...giving them selves away but also alerting other rats....but if your sneaking through and hear one start barking stop and try to pinpoint it and sneak in....alot of times they will stay until your pretty close....i dont know where they will be this late in the winter....well never mind...looks like your in NC...my squirrels are almost in hibernation....coming out rarely.....down there they should be out but i dont know.....if the others are out foxes will be.....grays seem to be a bit more....elusive then grays...they seem to be more careless and just worried about food....heck i shot 2 out of the same tree with a bolt action 22...both landed within a foot of eachother.....they could care less that i was standing at the base of the tree....they were getting nuts...i love hunting tree rats reguardless of color....but i never really noticed areas that have grays and not foxes i mean some areas seem that way but they seem to be the same kind of land.....they just never intermixed in that area i always thought....but i like to get in a nice stand of nut trees and have at em....good luck!!
Old 01-24-2004, 06:24 PM

yeah the fox squirrel's will give you more time to shoot bcuz they stay still longer than the blacks and grays
Old 01-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well a fox squirrel is more likely to sit still while u unload a clip at it. Greys are very wild and will run run run run. Fox just dont seem to have much inbetween the ears. You hunt them the same, find whatever there cutting on and set up at the base of a tree with your favorite gun.