Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do you clean squirrles?

Old 01-14-2004, 04:02 PM

Default How do you clean squirrles?

The question is as basic as the title. How do you clean out a squirrel for eating. I have never done it before so i was wondering if there was some special way to do it or not.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:19 PM

Default RE: How do you clean squirrles?

i cut a patch of hair off the middle of the back about 3 in by 1 in then cut through the skin get your fingers in between the slit and pull it a part. when you pull the fur up to the joints of the feet cut the feet off and the tail then turn it around (i have this bord on a tree with a nail stikking out of it so i can hage the squirrle on it) then hang em by the feet in the front of there body then pull the fur up to the joints of the other feet and with one hand grab on to the thighs and cut up and pull the guts out. then cut the head off and feet off then you got to clean em in the sink in the back legs make a small cut were the claf and thigh come togther behind the knee theres this small white tenden like thing pull it out it tastes bad. then cut the meat and bone were the shoulders and hips meet and cut the back in half.thats it , it doesnt really take that long once you get use to it
Old 01-14-2004, 06:38 PM

another thing you could do is cut arond the feet and make a slit on the tail then just pull down on the tail and it takes most if not all the skin right over head then all you have to do is cut off the feet and head...simple as that
Old 01-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I couldnt tell you on this one. I never been brave enough to eat one lol [X(]
Old 01-15-2004, 04:12 AM

I do it like deerslayer , with one exception.

I put them into a bucket full of water first.this helps the hair from sticking to the meat.

I also , cut the head, tail, and feet off before I split the back.this make it easier to pull the skin off.when you pull the skin will come al the way off and not hang on the head and feet.

Redhawk ; you really need to try them,they are better than fried chicken[:-] realy they are great eating.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:53 AM

Frankly, i think squirrel ( if cooked the right way) can taste great. I keep the furs so I skin'em a bit different. I make a slit from the center of the top part of the thigh (where his belt buckle would be) and go along the leg to the foot. Then I join the slits together and cut right down the center of the stomach side. Start pulling the skin away from the muscle around the back legs, then pull it completely off the foot. Then all i keep doing is using my fingers to separate the skin from the body, not cutting anything, but breaking up the membrane with my hands until i get everything loosened up to the front legs. Then i pull the tail off the bone and pull everything off the head end and usually if practiced a few times you can end up with not a single hair on the squirrel meat.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:11 AM

Avid_bowhunter2005 riminded me that i forgot to put in that i wanted to keep the furs if possibal cuse i have on haning around that i would really like to get mounted. It is the biggest squirrel i have ever seen. That and does anybody have a site that i can go to that has pics on how to do it and keep the fur. Ridge Runner had one with pretty understandable pictures but it didnt seem to be able to keep the fur.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:38 PM

Andy_O ; if you want to keep the skin to mount , go to the web site of Vandyke , or WASCO.they are taxidermy supply co. they have booklets on these things.

to mount one,the best way is to split it from between the front legs down the belley to between the back legs.one split,then a small cut to about 1/4 way out each leg,no more than 1/4 way.then work your fingers around the squirrel and bend ans shin him out to the head,be very careful to not cut the ears or nose to short.be careful around the eyes,leaving the lashes.when you get the the tail,don't cut the bone.put a nail on each side of the bone andpull stright out toward the tip.it will slide off easy.

the forms you get now days come apart,so you don't have to cut the legs,and feet and tail all the way out.you take a leg and slid it out the leg,like putting on a set of waders.

you may want to pratice on one that doesn't matter first.it really isn't that hard once you try it and see what I mean.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Redhawk ; you really need to try them,they are better than fried chicken realy they are great eating.
What kind were you referring to? Ground or Grey?
Old 01-16-2004, 04:23 PM

Red Hawk ; were talking about gray and fox squirrels.
doun't know bout ground squirrels,they may be tasty also. I will let the guys up north and out west tell you bout them little buggers.

Quick Reply: How do you clean squirrles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.