Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

SKS for yotes

Old 01-04-2004, 09:47 PM

Default SKS for yotes

Hi all my ferst time here has any of you shoot yotes with a sks Im thinking of getting one and doing a littel work to it for yote what do you all think
Old 01-05-2004, 12:00 AM

Default RE: SKS for yotes

SKS would be hard on the pelts!!!! My son has a Chinese made SKS that I've shot some. Fairly accurate with the iron sights. Don't know if you can easily mount a scope on one. Ammo is cheap. It will definitely knock them flat, but wouldn't be my choice. A .220 Swift, .223, or 22-250 with a good scope would be my choice. Even these would probably be a little hard on the pelts. Some folks opt for the .17 Rem. (not hmr) to reduce the pelt damage. Around here, .17 Rem is hard to find. When you do, it's expensive.

I shot one over in Lewis County, WV, a couple of years ago while deer hunting. I was using a .270 with 130 gr. bullets. Didn't have to worry about the pelt on that one!!!!!!!!!! Did a real number on it!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:39 AM

Hi kyhillbilly74,

Though I could probably think of many more appropriate rifles for coyotes....as long as the SKS is properly sighted it would probably work fine for "called in" coyotes. And with the FMJ through the ribcage....it might not tear up pelts to severely?!?

If an SKS is what you can afford...then get it....and use it. Once it is properly sighted it should work fine to intermediate ranges.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:53 PM

shot a bobcat earlier in the deer season with my .270 remington. entrance side of the pelt was basically in tact, but the exit side had half the pelt destroyed. i'll admit a .270 is a bit much for coyotes and such, but dead is dead unless you are a fur trader. as mentioned above .223, 22-250 or 220 swift is more the standard for yote hunting, especially if shooting long distance.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't figure they're legal in your state, but FMJ ball ammo would be nice on your pelts.

All kidding aside, I have used an SKS on yotes for YEARS, I usually try to load some real tough .308win bullets into them little cases for it-make it hard enough and it won't even think of opening up and shredding your hide-especially at the modest velocities of the 7.62x39mm. I'm not really certain why I still HUNT coyotes with it, I've got two .22-250's still that are a lot better at it, I suppose I should reserve the SKS for the pick-up gun I bought it for, but it's just too much fun to hunt with!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

stick with full metal jacket ammo, and you should do fine. if you can't get that, then i'd try a soft point. stay away from hollow points on little critters.