Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 cal. for Yotes

Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 AM

Default .22 cal. for Yotes

Who here would feel comfortable taking coyotes with a Ruger 10/22 LR (non MAG round) at close range? say within 100 yrds. I live here in Florida where we often take hogs with .22 cals using ear/head shots. I have taken a large bobcat with a 10/22 and drop'd him at about 75yrds, only running about 15 yrds. My opinion is proper shot placement! plain and simple.... but im trying to get others opinions...yes we can step up the cal. and make it easier....we could use a BMG 50 cal. too
Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .22 cal. for Yotes

"Who here would feel comfortable taking coyotes with a Ruger 10/22 LR (non MAG round) at close range? say within 100 yrds."

i too have killed hogs with my Ruger 10/.22 at close range. Have also killeda lot ofcoyotes with the same gun because it was what was in my hands when the coyote popped up. Having said that, the .22 rimfire is not really acoyote killer extraordinaire. Most of my coyotes were shot with a .22 Hornet and a .223.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM

Ya, im not saying this is the best cal. for yotes but it is a capable killer with proper shot placement. When big hogs go down with a .22, its a capable killa!!now if you want, you can step it up with a better cal. but for something that cost next tonothing to shoot, and can be very accurate, i wouldnt think twice on using it within its capabilities. You may not want to tackle a 150-200 yrd shot but a close 100 and under, let it rip!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the input!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who here would feel comfortable taking coyotes with a Ruger 10/22 LR (non MAG round) at close range
I would.............................if they were in a leg hold trap![8D]It amazes me how many "success" storys we here about the mightly little 22lr killing critters, BUT no one steps up and admits to any failures with the same set up. If not hit in the brain, you'll have problems recovering a coyote, or a hog. The coyote, if shot in the pump station, will go a long ways with little, if any, blood to trail.
The brain is a very small target. Shooting and being very accurate on paper is one thing, but doing it on a living, rarely stationary target, is not and never will be a good choice! Cheap ammo. or not!![&:]
Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Default RE: .22 cal. For Yotes

NOOOOOOOOO! As stated above, only if it's in a trap and you are within 10 yards. Not enough energy, expansion, or mass to do enough damage to be ethical, or smart. I'm all for killing coyotes, but when you make bad shots and they go off wounded, that's when we start getting problems with anti's and whatnot. As a suggestion, .223 or .22-250 are great. The 250 is very flat and accurate to atleast 400 yds. If you want to do it w/ a .22LR then go ahead, but don't advertise it is all. Good luck with whatever is best for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Like i stated earlier, there are better choices out there obviously.... but with a proper shot placement its capable. Yes you must be a great shot too....as a ear shot is needed to end quickly. Now i would prefer a close shot of say 50 yrds for this myself. At 50 yrds i am more than confident on my abilities as i have taken that bobcat at 75ish yrds and it was over. As for advertising it.....there is no difference in advising this as there is in smoking cigs....do it at your own risk. If you are a good shot, then yes it will do the job, if not a good shot, pass on it.....thats all Yes moving targets add a different level too...this is where you have to make a sound decision...we all have to make these dicisions based on our own abilities and equipment capabilities. BUT>>> if you have one in one hand and a larger cal. in the other, its a no brainer,go bigger... i agree
Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

"BUT>>> if you have one in one hand and a larger cal. in the other, its a no brainer,go bigger... i agree"

Totally agree. The hogs and coyotes that i have killed with a .22 rimfire were shot becausea .22was the only thing in my hand at the time.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I am getting so tired of saying this.... No .22 long or mags for larger varmints like cats, yotes, and fox. I hunt for fur and the smallest thing I use is the 17 remington. That reminds me dont use the .17 HMRS either. ANd one more thing the .22 hornet is a beast on coyotes but dont use it past 175-200.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man you guys act like if you dont recover a coyote it is the worst thing on the planet.I try to be humane but some times the animal we are tring to take gets away or we make a bad shot.I know that a .22lr is not a great chioce but it will do the job if at close range.What are you going to do with the yote any way it doesnt sound like any of you skin them anymore.Do ya just want to see him dead ,I know you not eating them so give it break.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are you going to do with the yote any way it doesnt sound like any of you skin them anymore
And you'd be right, I don't skin them, I let the fur buyer do it. He makes a little money, and I make a little money!

Quick Reply: .22 cal. for Yotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.