Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ever shoot a mangy coyote?

Old 02-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever shoot a mangy coyote?

What do you do with them?... I hate leaving animals and wasting them, but that's what I do because I don't know of anything else. Maybe the only thing I'm doing good is taking out a bad one so it won't spread the mange to the others(besides the fact I'm predator controlling).
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 02-07-2002, 10:19 PM

Default RE: Ever shoot a mangy coyote?

I have shot 2 this year, one while still hunting with my muzzle loader and another at a bait. The one I shot muzzle loading I left lay where it fell, I dragged the other one away from the bait then burned my gloves. I never touch them unless I have too.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'VE SHOT 3 IN MY LIFETIME, AND ALL THREE OF THEM I LEFT THEM.

Edited by - robb92 on 02/07/2002 23:34:11
Old 02-08-2002, 12:52 AM
Fork Horn

Around here you just leave them all. Reds, greys, and blacks. Use them for bait.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a beautiful one mounted...the others I discarded.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:48 PM

Mange is really bad here right now I would say that 95% of our coyotes are mangey. We burn the body as to not spread it any more. It gets into the dens from the females then the pups pick it up and the cycle continues. It doesnt bother me though because I run rabbit beagles anyway so it helps me but it is still a sickening disease and needs to be controlled.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

for starters,mange is not a disease.its coused by a little bug called a mange mite.it is important to remove any and all animals that have the mange from the woods.this helps in controling the spead of the mites.but one has to be very carefull in how the animal is handled.mange mites will and do jump on humans,kinda like a flea will.handle them once with gloves on to put them in a plastic garbage bag,then burn the bag and all,its the only way to keep other wild and or domestic animals from feeding on them.the coyotes in my part of the world are fairly free of the mange but the fox are a different story.every year i shoot 3 to 6 manged up red and gray fox.does removing every manged up one i shoot help??i don't know for sure but it sure can't hurt.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:26 PM

Coyoteseeker is exactly right on what causes mange. About for years ago I was getting a excessive number of coon calls from one perticular area that I work. Pretty soon I started to notice the hair was missing from the ear butts and the base of the tail..MANGE! In time I was getting calls about animals that were laying in garages or on front porches that were very sick and that had no hair. I believe that this is one way "ole" mother nature controls over population. The anti-hunter folks should see something like this and then deside which is more humain....to die a slow agonizing death like mother nature dishes out or a painless instant death from a hunters bullet.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:14 PM

The mange bug is a disease and it is more like a ring worm it grows under the skin eating the roots of the hair. I wouldn't worry too much about getting mange you would have to have it on you for a good period of time. We shoot about 30 to 40 a year with mange (coyotes and fox) and I have seen it up close more times than I would like.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:02 PM

Sorry Hounds Man mange is caused by a mite, which is a parisite that lives off the the bodies of the host animal. It kills the hair folicals of the host causing the hair to fall out. It is obviously very uncomfortable for the infected animal and and it digs and scratches at any area on it's body it can reach to try and relieve it's discomfort. By doing this it opens sores that quickly become infected. I have acually seen animals so far gone that they smelled rotten,but were still alive.

Quick Reply: Ever shoot a mangy coyote?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.