Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

traps

Old 12-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Default traps

i am thinking about purchasing a few of these traps for coyotes.... what do you think about them???
http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/de..._ID=OV1.75K94O
Old 12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: traps

Looks like a strong little trap. Victor makes good stuff. They will work for coyotes but you will have to weld a base plate on them and center swivel them. I would also laminate the jaws if you are going to use them for coyotes. The laminates would be optional but not the baseplate and new chain. Coyotes will bend the frame without a baseplate.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:16 PM

thanks for the help mez... this may sound stupid, (I'm new to this you got to remember) what do you mean by welding a base plate and center swiveling them? what is this for, and how would i go about doing it?

thanks for the advice,
idaho hunter
Old 12-16-2003, 01:41 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

No such thing as a stupid question. A base plate is a flat piece of metal that welds to the bottom of the trap frame. The part of the frame that the jaws are attatched to. This will add a lot of support to the trap. The base plate also has a small bend in the middle of it, you put a D ring in the bend and to this you attatch a trap swivel then attatch your chain to this swivel. Coyotes will stomp the heck out of a trap, they bend them ruin the pans and dogs etc. If they get the frame of the trap bent the jaws will pop out and there goes your coyote. With base plates they can't tear them up. The extra swivel on the bottom of the trap will also keep from them tangling things up. You need to use machine link chain on coyote traps also. They will break the twisted link. You can order base plates as kits for traps, they are cheap and the D rings are included. Once you see one they are pretty self exlplanatory.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:31 PM

Thanks for all the help... i think i am getting a feal for it! Christmas is coming, so maybe a few of those babies will show up under the tree from old Saint Nick!