Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

yote hunting with dogs

Old 11-12-2003, 01:32 PM

Default yote hunting with dogs

i know people do this but how?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:03 PM

Default RE: yote hunting with dogs

We hunt coyotes with hounds, and that can mean any variety of trailing hounds. Black & Tans, Blueticks, Walkers, Redbones, Redticks...pretty much the whole gammet. We pretty much always do it when there is snow on the ground because we use the snow to find fresh tracks from the night before. We cut the tracks and then turn loose a few dogs and wait till they get it jumped. Then we try and get into position for a hunt by trying to stay ahead of the hunt. As long as we get to run our dogs we are happy. Getting the Yote is just an added bonus. It' s pretty exciting when you get a chase going because you never know where the coyote is going to go or how long the chase will last.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Spike

I have read of some people use dogs as decoys too. Kinda send the dog out when they spot the coyote and the coyotes will be somewhat calmed by seeing another dog and as well as their attention won' t be on the hunter.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:09 PM

Well you could be referring to catching coyotes with greyhounds. It is a very common practice here in kansas guys with pickups will chase coyotes out of cover into open pastures where they can get somewhat close then they will let the dogs, greyhounds, out of a specialy made dog box on a flatbed pickup that has a rope coming into the cab to open the door. The dogs will catch and fight the coyote, some guys have a special kill dog that is usually a bigger dog mostly mutt breeds that will actually kill the coyote. This style is sometimes looked down on but can be very fun and there are enough yotes around here that there is no negative impact.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:08 PM

I know someone that actually uses one of those smaller dogs, like a ****zu or something to decoy the coyotes in. The coyotes chase it and it leads them right to my friend so he can shoot the coyote.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blazingbarrels270

I know someone that actually uses one of those smaller dogs, like a ****zu or something to decoy the coyotes in. The coyotes chase it and it leads them right to my friend so he can shoot the coyote.
I've heard of this too. Using the family pet to lure the yotes in. Sounds like fun. I'll bet my black lab would LOVE it
Old 12-19-2003, 04:44 PM

my black lab would probably scare it off its so big and my dog is so friendly it would try to play with it
Old 12-26-2003, 09:59 PM

I rented a movie once called "Doggin coyotes". They use dogs to "retrieve yotes.
First the dog chases the yote for a couple hundred yards. The owner calls or whistles the dog back. When the dog runs back to the hunter the yote is hot in it's tail. The hunter shoots the yote. Looks like a lot of fun to me.
You need a fast dog though. Preferably one with no tail for the yote to grab.

critch