Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information..

Escaped Pig

Old 12-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Spike

Default Escaped Pig

Okay so the background of this story is I was set up under a tree about 36yd from a feeder this morning, decked out in camo with my cross bow. I got situated around 6:45-7:00am and was sitting there no more than 15min when I saw something black moving to my left. At first I thought it was a cow but the way it was walking and looked just didnít seem like it was to me. As it moved around I could tell it was a big ol boar. I donít know what I did to upset him but he just turned and started running right at me so I raised up my crossbow and shot the ol boy in the face. He squealed , spun around, and took off. So at 7:45 I got up and started my journey on the 800 acre lease to track him down and get my arrow back. I followed a steady blood trail for a little over 4 hours and covered 4.5 miles of track and STILL couldnít find him. Around the 2-3 mile mark were big pools of blood and at the end was small small drops. Iím thinking he had run out of blood to drip. I then lost the blood trail and had to call of the search. My question to anyone who knows a lot about these animals is how far can one go with an arrow in its head and if I go back tomorrow or the next day will I see some scavenger birds flying above what I hope is the carcass?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would all depend on whether the arrow went into the brain. If you just cut the meat and the arrow kept on going that hog will most likely heal. If you hit him near the top of his head the arrow could have just skidded over the skull and not done lethal damage. Head injuries bleed pretty profusely. If you followed that hog for 2 or 3 miles, it isn't dead and most likely won't be.