Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Small game or predator dog question

Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Spike

Default Small game or predator dog question

this is more out of curiosity than anything else what do y’all think about a Brittany Saluki cross. Do you think it would be a good cross and what do you think it would be the best at hunting?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a lover of sporting dogs and being from a dog breeding family, you couldn’t convince me to pay to feed a Brittany cross or a Saluki cross. Let alone crossed together.

If you own one, as long as it will return on command, you could likely train it to be a decoy dog for luring coyotes back to you. It should be leggy to be able to outrun coyotes on the recall, and have enough sporting drive to spot and approach coyotes. I’d expect they could be taught to finish as well, IF you want your dog finishing. I know guys decoy with dogs all of the time, and I’ve enjoyed doing it myself, but I wouldn’t keep a dog just for such purpose. Any of my dogs will return on command, so I don’t keep a particular dog just for it.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a breeder, I do have an eye for talent. I've had many crosses, some good, some bad. I had one cross, Beagle and Rottweiler, I wouldn't recommend for anybody. The line was a work in progress, designed as a large predator hunter, primarily Bears and Hogs. Seemed to have the worst traits of both breeds, aggressiveness (Rottweiler) towards humans and single minded (Beagle), no stopping him when he picked up a scent. He was a reject from the DEA.

I usually spot what they are good at and adjust my hunting style to their strengths.
The thing about pure bred Dogs is some are bred for looks and some for working. Line breeding is basically when you get a good dog, either visually or practically and you attempt to breed the traits true. The most common method is to line breed. Basically all Dogs of a specific line are relatives, often close relatives skipping a single generation. A true breed can take many generations to achieve. And recessives pop up all the time.

I single generation cross is subject to turn out anything. The end product is likely to resemble either one parent or the other or both. The original traits that made the breed attractive (either visually or practically) in the first place my be present in degrees or not at all. Many breeds have common ancestors, usually bred into the mix in the past for specific reasons. The chance of recessives popping up is large. Random breeding seldom turns out what you want. There are exceptions, some crosses work with some regularity. But more the exception than the rule.

Even crossing different lines of the same breed or something very similar, can turn out unexpected results in the same litter. Imagine a Dachshund with a Jack Russel Terrier head. That is what popped out when two lines of Terrier were cross bred trying to reduce the size if both. Obviously both pure bred lines had some Dachshund in the mix and dwarfism.

The main talents of a successful Breeder are spotting keepers at a young age and having the stomach to cull the rejects.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Spike

I have no where near the experience I would like to have so if I ever do any breeding it will be sometime in the future. As for why I asked about that cross is I have been thinking of creating a line of Brittany’s or spaniel type dogs that are stronger and faster and I could use both on small and larger game. And if I did create my own line of Brittany’s I would try to breed them back to Spaniel origins and make them flushers or bay dogs and not pointers. And I was thinking of doing this by adding some curs and sight hounds into the Brittany’s and whatever other spaniel type dogs I use.

Last edited by Huntley; 07-18-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why in the world would you do that when there are larger spaniels out there. I hate the thought of taking two perfectly good breeds and crossing them to make a mutt. There is far too much of that going on now for the pet trade. If you don't like the existing breeds you haven looked at enough of them.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Spike

Made I haven’t made my self clear I will probably never do that and I plan to use already created breeds or mutts I don’t care as long as it will get the job done. I just like to think about creating and getting ideas and opinions of new breed or lines. Doing this I find out more about dogs and get people’s experiences which is why I am asking the question. And people make crosses and new lines all the time yes some if not most are crap especially if they are not created for a working purpose. But every breed started out some where and some of the already set breeds need improvement for many reasons either to improve their abilities or most importantly there health. Well that just my opinion but whatever

Last edited by Huntley; 07-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

What improvements for an undetermined objective do you think will come from crossing a Saluki with a Brittany? This seems like a solution looking for a problem?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
What improvements for an undetermined objective do you think will come from crossing a Saluki with a Brittany? This seems like a solution looking for a problem?
really I was just thinking the cross could be I interesting and if I did do it which I doubt I ever will. I would want to cross the two to get the speed and stamina maybe a little of the size of the Saluki and the trainability, nose and stamina of the Brittany. But as stated by other people I could get all those traits or I could get none of those traits. I really get asked the question to get people’s opinions and experiences with these breeds and to see if they were ever crossed would the resulting cross be a good dog.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Spike

I wouldn't waist my time on one get a cur I use calahulas (now I can't remember how to spell it). The will tree squirrels to bears catch hogs and wild cattle. The 2 I have will kill a coyote 1 on 1 if I don't shot it quick enough. They come in small packages like dynamite only weigh in at about 40 pounds