Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

4-18 a great afternoon witha friend.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking 4-18 a great afternoon witha friend.

Lee called me Tuesday morning, he didn’t know I have my transport problem worked out. Said he had a house showing at the lake down the road from me and wondered if I would like to go shoot some coyotes afterwards since the rest of the day was his. I tell him that would be great and I would be ready when he got here about 2:00PM.

He asked if I had company when he rang the old school bell which he loves to do and I came to let him in. Told him no that was Kare’s new ride she was letting me drive as long as she didn’t catch me trying to find a shift lever to much. I asked the polite stuff did he want coffee, tea a sandwich or something, No nothing. I asked where he had in mind to hunt as I have not been calling around since I did not get in the partner draw and figured I would not hunt alone. He tells me about a farm north of town for starters he had just listed and has permission to varmint hunt there till it sells. It was decided we would load his gear in my Kare’s truck leave his rig at his office and start at the farm north of town.

On the way to the farm Lees says the farm had not been hunted for anything for over 20 years after some slobs had made the farmer mad. He thought we would do well there as he had seen signs when walking the place so he knew what he was going to be selling. We arrive and park where Lee said too, gather our gear and head out with Lee pointing to places for future set ups. We get back to a small island of trees and bushes and walk two decoys out in a hay field and set the caller and decoys out.

Start a 16 minute run of a coyote pack having a family picnic with silent gaps. About two minutes the challenge bark comes, so we quickly do a challenge call back. Then the chatter begins back and forth as the area challenger comes closer. Finally after a good 20 minutes 2 coyotes come out of a drainage ditch, about 125 yards away. Lee points to the leader and me then the trailing one to him. I watch to see the fire sign and let the swift speak. One lead coyote is lifted a bit and falls to the ground when the 55gr bullet hits his cheast. Lee’s coyote also didn’t make it, we wait a bit longer than go drag the coyotes to the ditch to be critter food, and then gather our gear.

At the truck we decide to go up the road about 20 miles to another farm, once a huge dairy operation but since has been left vacant till the owners decide what they are going to do with it. They had it listed for sale for a couple years but no one wanted to pay that price and they didn’t want to split it all up. They had did some leasing but that was not making them happy either.

We set out to a fence line near the back of the place, get set up by an old apple tree. There is a wood lot not far off we have had coyotes come from before but that afternoon they snubbed us. There is another similar farm a couple miles from that one we decided to try. This time we go down a lane to a small wood lot and set up on a hill side in there a bit. Walk the decoys and caller outside the woods and into a field to draw any coyotes to it but we can still see there. Close to 10 minutes of piglet in distress has a female coyote running to the decoys in Lee’s zone, he fires when it stops to look at the decoys and it is down. Again the fur sucks so it is drug inside the woods for critter food like the rest.

We leave there and decide to head to a sheep farm no one has hunted since Christmas time. We arrive and gather our gear and head back across a hay field, nice that the water is starting to dry up so we are not sloshing. We arrive at a fence line with some autumn olive bushes where we set up with the decoys and caller down the fence line about 150 yards. There is a corner of a wood lot and coyotes have come from there in the past. It only takes about 5 minutes when 3 coyotes came out of the wood lot. I’m to take the lead lee the two tail end ones, I down mine and see lee has both down another double for him. We get back to the truck to see Dale walking to meet us, he tells us that a friend wants us to come by and see about taking care of some howling coyotes at his place. Is only 8 miles away?

We load our gear then drive to Dale’s friend Robert’s home. Knock on the door and get the invite in and offers of drink and food, got to love farm folks who still have manners. We tell him we hunt Dales place for varmints and Dale told us he wanted to see if we could do something with coyotes they had been hearing and seeing. We show pictures of others in our group and ask the all important things, where we should park out of their way, and property lines. Normally we will drive or walk the property to see where the boundaries are but today we didn’t want to do that as we figured we would do a set there right then. Bob he likes to be called described the fence lines for us and a couple of nearby stone piles with brush growing in them where we could set up near a drainage ditch and wood lot.

We get our gear and head out to see what we could do. We find a stone pile like we were told then set the decoy and caller out. About 10 minutes we see 4 coyotes coming down along a drainage ditch. Lee signals I should try for the last two. I had to squirm a little to get in position again, I fire and rack the bolt start looking for another coyote, only see 4 dead coyotes scattered across the field. Two triples for lee since last fall got to learn that eyes open method of shooting. It is time to head home as our tummy’s are a grumbling now.

Make a date to return Friday afternoon and be shown the property lines.

Al