Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Red/gray fox & coyote lures

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red/gray fox & coyote lures

What are your favorite lures/scents for red/gray fox & 'yotes?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

My dad would shoot groundhogs and skin them and cut them into pieces and bury them in mason jars and let them ferment. When you open the lid the smell would make your socks roll down. He carried that stuff in a small bottle and used just a little bit at his fox sets. For raccoons he used cracklings, that was if he had any left after I got into them with a paper bag and some salt and ate a lot of them. It was a good thing he bought them by the wheel from a local butcher.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fox are actually pretty easy, if you can figure out their routine. They tend to visit their mouse hot spots routinely and often in the same order.

Fish always works best for me. I always have some that are outdated in the freezer.

Nuoc Mam is my go to scent. Most predators find the stuff interesting. The good stuff really stinks and lasts for weeks. I've even watched Deer come in to check the smell out. The cheaper the better, the stuff produced in Vietnam and imported is definitely the best.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-02-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

For Reds I used to do very well with Russ Carmens "Pro's Choice". That and just straight red fox urine with no bait always worked for me. Bait always just brought in grinners and skunks which I did not want. Coyotes are still a work in progress for me.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mackesr
For Reds I used to do very well with Russ Carmens "Pro's Choice". That and just straight red fox urine with no bait always worked for me. Bait always just brought in grinners and skunks which I did not want. Coyotes are still a work in progress for me.
Hey mackesr - Carman's make some good lures. Just wanted to see what others are using. You're pretty close to me, hows the trapping been down in Central VA? Just getting ready to start calling & trapping next week once work slows down.