Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eating yotes or wolves?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Spike

Default Eating yotes or wolves?

Yeah well, I'm all set for predator hunting but I got some hard time killing yotes or wolves and let them rot there. I'm more of the type that eat what I kill and seems like I'd take the meat out of them.

Not really fond of eating canine either but I could get over that with a bit of convincing.

My main concern was that they were scavengers but after some research on google it doesn't seem to be a problem. Specially when doing beef jerky and that's what I intend to do.

So, anyone here ever ate yotes/wolves ?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

nope, and never will! you ever skin a yote? a bear stinks bad, is edible that's about it, but you could roll a bear in a pile of sh*t for 3 days and he wouldn't smell as bad as a yote, but if it makes you feel better about killin them you just help yourself.
RR
Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Spike

Nope never skinned, heck never killed a coyote. I'll keep that in mind if I'm going through this lol.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well I eat coyote even though I can afford other meat to eat. I find it tasty and I look at the teeth and only take the meat from the youngest ones.

You will get a lot of yuk comments from people here but I will bet a dollar to a donut they have never tried it but consider them selves experts. They really are experts too at yuking things they know nothing about.
And Not all coyotes stink when you go to skin them, plus if you skin them for the fur to sell you might just as well take a hunk of meat.

Here are some recipes I like.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp...e-recipes.html

About 90% of the world eats dog & horse meat.

Al
Old 01-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ate a coyote once. I don't recommend it as a steady diet. To say it was gamey would be a severe understatement.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Banned

would eat the north end out of a southbound rino if hungry enough, but not till then.

I skin em and leave the carcass. coyotes got to eat to.you would be amazed how fast a coyote will consume a fallen comrade.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

My opinion: eat it if you want to. I've eaten my share of weird game animals... But I also don't consider killing them a waste... Scavengers will clean them up pretty quickly probably. Nothing really "goes to waste in the woods" it all gets used eventually.
-Jake
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
nope, and never will! you ever skin a yote? a bear stinks bad, is edible that's about it, but you could roll a bear in a pile of sh*t for 3 days and he wouldn't smell as bad as a yote, but if it makes you feel better about killin them you just help yourself.
RR
Man RR, you found a good smellin one if that's only as bad as he smelled!!!!!! I have skinned over 1000 and none smelled that good!!!!!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to be very very hungry and have no other choice, before I would consider eating a coyote, fox or wolf or any member of the weasel family. There are some things that just don't pass the sniff test.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Spike

I'm a bit at lost, heard some horror stories about parasite in canine that is quite harmful to us. Still it might just be stories from people that doesn't know nothing.

I've seen some tv show where a guy's eating raw meet with maggot on it. Can't be worse than that I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.