Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Northern Colorado small game advice needed >

Northern Colorado small game advice needed

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Northern Colorado small game advice needed

Old 12-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Spike

Default Northern Colorado small game advice needed

Hey all
I just started hunting this year. I started with an elk tag, which I of course didn't fill. I'd like to put some meat in my freezer, but I don't know what to do until turkey season rolls around. Everyone has been recommending rabbit and duck, which I'm all about, but I don't know where to go. No one in my family hunts so there's no one to show me the ropes, and I don't have many buddies who can point me in a good direction.

I tried looking at Colorado's parks and wildlife game atlas, but they only show big game regions. Can anyone point me specifically to public land where I can take some rabbits/ducks/anything else worth eating in the northern half of Colorado?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Contact the CO game dept and aske them.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it were me, I would go to a local "shooting" range.

A lot of guys shooting handguns & AR's now, so find a shotgun/clay bird shooting club.

No one is going to tell you where their "honey hole" is, but if approached properly I think you will find most "shotgunners" very helpful !

If you spend some time shooting there; not only will your shooting improve, you might also make some hunting pals ...........................
Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk with the biologist for your area. They usually will point you in the right direction.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

What Sheridan said, Most hunters shoot sporting clays and 5 stand at our club.

A list of clubs.
http://www.cscaclub.org/club-list.html

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 12-28-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Spike

I usually hunt rabbits and squirrels successfully in the Pike National Forest. I'm guessing Roosevelt National Forest could be just as productive for you too.

You might want to also consider State Wildlife Areas and State Trust Lands but check with Parks & Wildlife to see what / where you can hunt and what you can hunt with (some places might be rimfire or shotgun only).

The Colorado Hunting Atlas has contact info for the CPW Area Managers and I have found CPW staff are always willing to share their knowledge regarding hunting and fishing spots.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My best spot for most small game is the valley/canyon floors next to State or Federal land, foothills/mountains.

Farmers are usually happy to have the Jacks and Rabbits thinned out. I put a letter in the mailboxes asking or permission. A brief description of myself, telephone number, address and what I have planned in the way of hunting. Farmers are usually busy and often don't appreciate interruptions, especially strangers, a letter/note has worked out well for me. After you get a few OK's, ask if you can use them for a reference for other locations. Once they figure out they can trust you, ask about Dove season. Piece of advice, be careful who you bring with you, your reputation is tied to their actions.

A lot of times you really don't need permission, where the farmland meets the brush is often the border of State or Federal land. The Jacks and Rabbits often hang out in the brush piles during the day next to where they feed, especially in the spring when the Alfalfa and other crops are still to short to hide in.

Hunting Jacks can be way fun, you kick a brush pile and a Jack comes out of there bobbing and weaving. Pure instinct shooting, you have to be quick. You also have to be careful and don't let your focus on the Jack blind you to what is behind it when you shoot, especially if you are using Dogs.

The same spots work for Quail and Dove when in season.

Jacks actually are tasty, way lean meat, but a little oil added and they are good.

Another up side is when you get good at it the technique carries over to rifle or even pistol, muscle memory. The down side is you may instinctively shoot low, which isn't necessarily bad. If you miss, low is better than high.

It is often Rattle snack city in the same spots, bite proof Gators are recommended. Rattlers like to sun themselves in the morning when it starts to warm up some, they are often still half torpid and you may step on one.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-05-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Northern CO covers a big area. Can you narrow it down some?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Above 70
-Jake