Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people >

Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people

Old 08-16-2016, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people

Give me your thoughts on this, guys.

I'm a member of a religious community, and there's a big coyote being observed on our lawns and nearby meadows and it doesn't show a coyote's the normal wariness, fears, or behaviors. He hasn't been aggressive, but is getting close to houses and so forth. More than once, this one has come out of woods into a lawn at midday not fifty feet from a domicile.

This is an area that a lot of people walk through, even mothers with toddlers. Our grounds are a glorified park that people stroll through.

I haven't seen this animal myself, but I've heard more than one person describe him as "huge, "biggest coyote I've ever seen, never seen one that big." This is coming from rural Kansans who've seen many coyotes. Some here speculate he may be a coydog. (There was a similar animal observed around here 4-5 years ago, but the animal seemed to have disappeared.)

We're just inside the city limits, but I can definitely try to call him outside the boundaries and perhaps shoot him. I'm a beginner hunting predators, though.

ANY thoughts you might have on this would be appreciated. I'm really edgy about this situation.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he's within the city limits and is active around people during the day like you mentioned, he definitely needs to be either trapped or shot before he starts grabbing people's pets or even worse a little kid.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he's within the city limits and is active around people during the day like you mentioned, he definitely needs to be either trapped or shot before he starts grabbing people's pets or even worse a little kid.
He is doing just that. I'm not exagerating a bit. He's getting within bow range of the building and another house.

I was set up tonight just outside the city limits but didn't get anything to respond to calls.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 08-16-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck. Hope you get him before he does any harm.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Seems a bow would work and legal in many city limits too.

Al
Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been my experience as long as they are well fed there is little danger.

If they get really hungry and before they get too weak to hunt successfully is the dangerous time. If *you* got hungry enough your own Cat would likely look tasty.

I've hunted similar situations, the remedy I found is to dog them. The trouble with that is three fold. During a chase the dogs pay little attention to traffic. You really have to have well trained dogs that will give up the chase if you call them. And you need enough Dogs to make a fight really one sided or a Vet trip is likely.

I needed a permit (written permission from the Sheriff) to hunt in the city limits back home. Likely to change from city to city. I got permission to hunt in the city limits here to keep Fox out of the cemetery. Few people pay any attention to a single shot a 3 AM, nobody has called yet. I have what is called hunting insurance, insures my dogs, my gear and any bullet that comes out of the barrel. Costs me around $180 bucks a year.

There have been more than a few instances of predators getting really used to foraging near humans and attacking very young children, even babies. In England a Fox jumped through a window into a nursery and tried to eat a babies face off. This was a couple of years after they passed the Fox protection acts in England. Anybody with more than a few brain cells could likely foresee the eventual outcome of that policy.

I'm a nature lover, but IMO nature ends at the city limits.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Good luck. Hope you get him before he does any harm.
+1

Do what needs to be done - Kill'em !
Old 08-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds to me like its just surviving ?
the more folks move into the woods, the less woods there are for critters, forcing more and more into contact with humans
plus easier meals at times in rural yards,
many studies have been done on Coyotes, and many show they have a huge diet of Cats??
domestic cats
so, more than likely there are a lot of coyotes in local neighborhoods all the time
just many folks don't see them

unless its sick or injured, a healthy Coyote I doubt has any interest in attacking a human!
people tend to think the worse cause they rear?? or ???
odds are very low it wall harm anyone
now PETS
if there small enough , I can see them becoming a possible food source!
as again, its just looking to survive and there opportunistic, they will eat whats easy to get!

Last edited by mrbb; 08-17-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You all have me thinking, if nothing else.

I do have a bow, so that might be a possibility. I should check local ordinances and so forth, too.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

unless its sick or injured, a healthy Coyote I doubt has any interest in attacking a human!

Right. I don't know that he's sick, but he's definitely not acting like a typical coyote and that's what is raising red flags. We hear coyotes in those same woods a lot at night and have for years. However, they never show up in the daytime and never on the lawn like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.