Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people >

Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Red alert! Coyote getting close to buildings and people

Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can legally hunt the 'yote and wish to do so, fine. If one is really concerned of people or pet safety, maybe you have animal control officers that could be notified.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what part of Kansas are you? Most Kansas cities have local ordinance preventing even discharge of a bow within the city limits, and they always have the catchall charge of "Reckless endangerment" to strap on even if the city and county regs don't explicitly prevent it.

A lot of people get really worked up about seeing coyotes near homes, but in reality it happens a lot more often than people think with no ill side effects. When I was living in Manhattan in the middle of town, I had coyotes who would open up to locator calls readily almost every night I blew them. When I lived in Wichita, it was the same - I live near the edge of town and if I blew a locator call from my front steps I would hear coyotes in multiple different groups out on the edge of town as well as at least two locations common towards the city interior. Per Wichita city ordinance, I may or may not have had pretty good bow hunting success bow hunting coyotes while sitting on the roofs in my neighborhood, but such acts are explicitly forbidden. Same deal in northern Salina where the river runs, coyotes and foxes are everywhere around there if a guy knows how to hunt urban environments, but hunting and discharge of a weapon are both illegal.

The problem, however, is such: if the terrain and environment can support a coyote, there will always be a coyote there with you killed this one or not. A new one or multiple will come in and take his place. Killing one will do nothing.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a kind of perfect storm scenario I've seen on numerous occasions. Usually a young male Yote or Fox that got run out of the home territory and is doing really poorly trying to survive. They usually hang out on the fringe of bordering territories, constantly harassed and run off by the more dominant animals.

They will often head for places the others avoid and scavenge anything resembling food.

Desperate, run down, starving and likely sick, anything can happen.

I usually make it point to put them out of their misery.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call dnr Let them handle it